85 johnson not idleing

james95gt

Cadet
i have a johnson 150 and will not idle i have replace fuel lines rebuilt carbs.
i will pump the bulb and it will fun for a sec and rev real high then just shut off it will suck all the gas out of the filter then i will have to pump it again

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 85 johnson not idleing

If it is sucking all of the fuel out of the filter, you have a restriction or a plug somewhere in the system.
Do you have a built in tank, vent plugged?

james95gt

Cadet

its not a built in tank and it does have a vent on it i just started and did the same thing after i cleand out fuel filter. i prop the engine up and it poured gas out of the bottom carb have no clue why.

mamm7215

Petty Officer 2nd Class

revving momentarily could indicate a lean burn which would suggest an air leak somewhere, this would also cause it to not idle.

hawkf250

Seaman

Sounds to me like you have a couple of issues going on, sounds like the fuel line is restricted in some way, to eliminate this, get a clean hose with a known good or new primer bulb, bypass any quick connect fitting by hooking the hose directly into the inlet side of your fuel pump. Take the other end of the hose and stick it into the fill mouth of a clean gass can and try to start and see if that makes a difference. The gas pouring out of the bottom carb could be a stuck or misadjusted float. I would go through the carbs again to make sure everything is right.