broken snaps on aluminum window frame

fish-n-fool

Cadet
Hi everone, Just baught a 67, 21ft Larson Lapline in really great shape but found only 4 snaps left on the windshield frame the rest (about 10) are broken off. Is there a way to get the old screws out without damaging the frame ? I don't want to just put in new ones beside old ones then I would have to do the same on the top. I know drilling is not a good idea. My other boat has flat SS clips with the snap attached to it, thay just snap onto the window frame. Does anybody know if thay are still available and were to get'm? Thanks for your help, GW.

rwidman

Lieutenant
Re: broken snaps on aluminum window frame

Hi everone, Just baught a 67, 21ft Larson Lapline in really great shape but found only 4 snaps left on the windshield frame the rest (about 10) are broken off. Is there a way to get the old screws out without damaging the frame ? I don't want to just put in new ones beside old ones then I would have to do the same on the top. I know drilling is not a good idea. My other boat has flat SS clips with the snap attached to it, thay just snap onto the window frame. Does anybody know if thay are still available and were to get'm? Thanks for your help, GW.

West Marine may have the snaps that slide on the windshield frame. I think they do but I couldn't find them on-line.

Your local marine canvas shop will have them and if there are different sizes or styles, they will have them all.

Chances are, they won't be any more expensive than West Marine. ;)

Brewman61

Ensign

Just go to a well stocked boat dealer and see what they have.
I needed some of the male snaps that attach to the windshield frame, so I took a sample to my local boat dealer. He hauled out a huge plastic case- must have been at least a hundred compartments full of snaps and the like.

fish-n-fool

Cadet

Thanks guys, checked out the link and found exactly what I was looking for. Don't know why I had such a hardtime finding them, think I'll just use my little die grinder to smooth out the broken screws and I'll be done with it. Thanks again,GW.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

check your messages

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's wrong with drilling out the old ones? Use rivets to hold the new ones.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What's wrong with drilling out the old ones? Use rivets to hold the new ones.

...agreeing with Rick here!!!

Pop off any of the old snap that remains, grind/file the residual screw flush and drill out using a 'center drill' to avoid drilling too deep and cracking the glass. Use stainless steel pop rivets to install the new snaps.

fish-n-fool

Cadet

Well, I think that might be my only opption here, after finding the SS clips I can only find them in two sizes 3/4 and 7/8, my ws frame is 1-3/8 wide so I struck out on that idea. Went out and ground the rivets flush and found thay are aluminum not ss and luckily it was the rivet stud that corroded not the frame itself. So, now I realize I can drill'em out. I was planning on replacing with aluminum rivets but should I use ss ? does SS and aluminum corrode together ? Anyway, thanks for the input I'll post the results later, GW.

Bluepike

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Be very, very careful if you try to drill in to the windsheild frame. If you hit the glass, you'll be replacing more then a snap.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Well, I think that might be my only opption here, after finding the SS clips I can only find them in two sizes 3/4 and 7/8, my ws frame is 1-3/8 wide so I struck out on that idea. Went out and ground the rivets flush and found thay are aluminum not ss and luckily it was the rivet stud that corroded not the frame itself. So, now I realize I can drill'em out. I was planning on replacing with aluminum rivets but should I use ss ? does SS and aluminum corrode together ? Anyway, thanks for the input I'll post the results later, GW.

Aluminum and stainless steel get along together :)

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Be very, very careful if you try to drill in to the windsheild frame. If you hit the glass, you'll be replacing more then a snap.

....like I said earlier:

"and drill out using a 'center drill' to avoid drilling too deep and cracking the glass."

fish-n-fool

Cadet

Piece of cake ! The glass was below the rivet line so no worries there, used ss rivets and the only problem I ran into was the first 2 didn't tighten up very good so I took the tip out of my rivet gun and ground it down on the bench grinder untill it fit inside the snap and tight against the rivet shoulder. From there on all the rivets were tight and the top fit perfectly. I want to thank everyone for thier expertice and helping me out. GW.