Teen uses jetski to save boater

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Teen uses jetski to save boater

Heh I was just going to post this. What a commendable act by this 14 year old boy.

LAC_STS

Master Chief Petty Officer

A few weeks ago when my girlfriends family was down one of her cousins (9 year old boy) went to far out when we were wading at this island that is by an inlet.

I went out to get him and we got swepped out fast. Next thing I look back and both the 9 year olds and the 16 year old girl and me were in. The rip current was so strong I was swimming for about 30 mins and just kept getting further and further.

The 2 9 year olds had life jackets on but me and the 16 year old did not.

We finally flagged down a kid on a jetski. Turns out he was 15. He handled the ski like an adult and quickly rescued us one at a time. I was very surprised at how well he was about all of it. He stayed calm and made the trips between picking one of us up and bringing one of us to shore very quick.

If it wasn't for him we would have drowned.

I should have went and got the boat since the 9 year old that got swepped away was wearing a life jacket. but he was only about 15 ft away so I thought I would be able to get him.

But bottom line is that 15 year old kid on the ski saved 4 of us. And he did it just as good as an adult.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

boating mishaps and accidents are often posted in SHT even when no stupidity is involved.
Also a likely retort to some of the negative posts and generalizations about jet ski operators.

ifallsguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It seems like the majority of rescues we hear about with jetskis are made by teens.

Maybe they are more responsible on the water with their toys and become the clowns, idiots and fools we complain about after they become adults.

Too bad the ones we complain about don't take a lesson from these teens.

badkins50

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Great job that kid did! Not too many of them around that age are that responsible nor would they even be paying enough attention to notice people in distress.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

If I may generalize, I think the problem boaters--the most dangerous or inconsiderate--are the males in their late 20's/early 30's, uneducated, who just got their first boat/jetski, with the primary objective to use it either to party, or to speed around and get rowdy. They do not know, or care, about the whole boating picture. They focus first on engine power, second on stereo volume, and third on anything else to disturb the waters, and then the essence of boating. Their boats are often junked, wrecked, neglected or repossessed by the end of the season. With the irresponsible attitude comes the unacceptable conduct--in any vessel.

Sure there are exceptions up and down the lines of age, class, gender, experience and boat type. And notice I exclude the late 20's uneducated male with his first boat that he bought to do some serious fishing, or to spend time with his young family, etc., and wants to learn how to do it right.
To me, it's attitude and inexperience that fuels the problems.

Now, as for teen boys, they can't help but be Mr. Responsible one minute, and a real knucklehead the next. "P. erectus, non compis mentis." The are split down the middle, in my book, between the good boaters and the bad. I suppose in my day I have been one of each.

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

^^ well said

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

IIRC you are a teen boater who does it right and who saved some old dude's bacon last year

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I think many of the teen boaters have grown up in "boating families" and have had the rules drilled into them from a young age and started boating under adult supervision. Some of the first time, twenty-something boaters desperately need adult supervision..........;):)