Boat Wont take off

Eclipse223

Cadet
So 1988 Merc 1115 on a 1987 Stratos 179 will run great at top speed will run when i put it in neutral it will rev but to get boat up to planing i have to put 2 people up in front of the very front of the boat and then it just revs then dies revs then dies not totally dies but looses all power. I had a compression test done and all of them are 130 but number 5 is like 105 110. The guy looking at it said it had no fuel filter on it. And said it didn't need one. so i am lost on what to do he is cleaning the carbs up and i will go try it again i put a 5 blade prop on it one of those HIghFive props came with the boat i think its a 21 or 19 im not sure. i use to have a 3 blade on there but i wanted to see if the 5 blade helped. and it did not help at all. So the next step if this does not work?

Thanks so much guys!

Brien

Mi duckdown

Commander
Re: Boat Wont take off

Every running combustion engine needs/has a fuel filter. YOU Know the thing that keeps particles out of your carbs.
Your Mechanic is in Question.

starcraft1982

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Boat Wont take off

+1 on the comment above on the fuel filter.Also,that cylinder being that much lower is,in my opinion,a concern as it breaks the 10% criteria.Now,in my untrained opinion,that cylinder reading plus the running issue would indicate or lead me to suspect a fuel delivery problem.With a 2 stroke outboard,if its not getting proper fuel,its not getting proper oil!So,since I dont have the training to quickly assess wether its fuel related or electrical,I tend to always go fuel first.One,its easier to troubleshoot.Two,it has far greater chance of seriously damaging motor until its fixed.And third,its cheaper than the electrical stuff(usually).NOW,What I would do if it was me w/your problem.You are on the right track in cleaning carbs as long as he has the ability to do it correctly.I would also put a fuel pump rebuild kit in it(pretty inexpensive and easy to do).then i would at least inspect fuel lines for deterioration and replace the entire fuel line assembly including bulb(@$25 at wally world and another $8 or so for new fitting to engine).Then I would make sure I have good fresh gas and take it out.ONCE AND BREIFLY.If its fixed,GREAT!If not,post up all you ended up doing,any change in performance(better,worse or the same)and the big boys will take over w/any fuel issues I may have missed and electrical possibilites.That is provided they dont think the lower cylinder is the issue.I simply dont know how low it has to be to start having an adverse effect.Hope ive helped,and good luck.OH YEAH,INSTALL A FUEL FILTER!!!!!!!