quick question for the prop guru's

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class
How much of a differnce is there between a 14 1/2" and a 15" prop, both are 23" pitch, permformance wise. I have both and wondering which one would give better holeshot and over all performance. I have a 18' '70 starcraft w/ merc140 w/ mc1 o/d. quick response apprictiated thanx

usskydvr

Chief Petty Officer
Re: quick question for the prop guru's

Hard to answer because they will be different models. Performance should be close. As you have both ,do some of your own testing.
In very GENERAL terms the smaller dia should have better top end and the larger dia better hole shot.

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

They both are Michigan props (smc)

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

opps they are both mercuiser props, the one is a 14.5x23 and the other is a 15.25x23.. and both are 3 blade aluminum props

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Its been allmost a year and you haven't tried them yet???
While they are both Merc props they are obviously different models and very likely will have different performance. The larger diameter may have slightly lower rpm may have less venting problems.

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

well i did try the 15.25x23 but it did me no good cause it has to be rehubbed.. and the both look like factory props. the numbers on both props are in the mercruiser manual i have, which is the factory service manual have both vol 1 and 2

SparkieBoat

Captain

generally speaking if everything about the prop is the same you will gain about 50-100 RPM per inch less in DIA. pitch and prop design effect it way more.

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok so i wont see much of a difference if i have the 15.25x23 rehubbed and use it then.. didnt know if it would give me more speed being bigger in dia. or not over the smaller dia one

fishrdan

Admiral

How many RPM's was the engine turning at WOT? 23P seems kind of steep for an 18' boat with a Mercruiser 140HP. I'd expect something more like a 19P Prop,,, maybe a 17 or 21 depending on load and what you are doing with the boat.

lonemust

Petty Officer 1st Class

the 3 of us wieght in at about 750 lbs.. had a small cooler with food and drink plus fishing gear. and a 15lb anchor.. the engine was turning 4400rpm at 42.8 mph

SparkieBoat

Captain

4400 rpm is a good range, sounds like it is propped right to me. you will probably see slightly slower top end with the bigger prop.