Power steering fluid smells burned

lakelover

Rear Admiral
1996 Chevy Lumina with 205,000 miles on it, I don't know if PS fluid has ever been changed.

The fluid level is not down at all and the steering works fine, but I noticed, while investigating another problem, that it smelled burned. So I Googled it and came up with several forums. Some recommend sucking the reservoir out and replacing the fluid and repeating that every week or two until it comes out clean; but a lot of other people say that removes gunk that could be sealing up a leak and should not be done and will cause problems.

I've got a cash flow problem right now, not sure how long the car is going to last anyway, but don't know which way to go.

Replace fluid, or leave well enough alone?

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Power steering fluid smells burned

I use a turkey baster or huge syringe for animals to change out the fluid many times. With some cars changing will quiet down a noisy pump.
A Ford pump is always noisy no matter the fluid but reliable, Same for that GM while not noisy in all cases many can be noisy their entire long life, also very durable.
You have a pretty cheap and easy to replace pump there but in this case I would sleeping dogs lie, it may never have been changed and its working fine and no problems, why mess with it at 205k ?

That car you have can be pretty durable and reliable but at that mileage things are going to start going, I'm sure your well aware.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Changing the fluid is easier than suckin' it out...

Disconnect the Return line from the pump,...Extend it to a suitable container,...
Then have somebody start the motor,+ at Idle, slowly turn the wheel, lock to lock,...
As you pour Fresh oil into the fill hole...

When the oil flowin' into the collection container turns to Fresh oil,...
Stop,... then put everything back together the way it belongs....

You'll have Completely Fresh oil in a couple of Minutes....;)

lakelover

Rear Admiral

why mess with it at 205k ?

Thanks, Windsor-

That's my inclination. I've put 128,000 of the miles on it and it's treated me pretty well. I know it's not going to last forever but I'd like to run it as long as I can, there's a lot I like about it.

WizeOne

Commander

I would still suck out the fluid in the resevoir and refill it with fresh. It would not be the same as a 100% flush but you would get some fresh lubricant into the system.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I would still suck out the fluid in the resevoir and refill it with fresh. It would not be the same as a 100% flush but you would get some fresh lubricant into the system.

And the remaining old fluid will contaminate the new fluid.... which makes for wasted time/materials. Bond-o's way is the only way to flush it and to insure good fluid quality when the job is done.

The OPer... its a GM with 200K on it. Its past its life expectancy (the whole car). Save your cash and don't worry about the p/s pump.

ezbtr

Commander

i did the turkey baster method on my 87 Camry at 100K(only has 122K orig miles now) as my PS seal was getting sticky, making PS not work well, I also added over repeated drainings an additive( power steering doctor"??? something like that, recommended by my Toyota board, worked great, fixed prob, no leaks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Not trying to be rude...... if it is not broke then leave it alone

You said it was working fine. You might be better served just spending that money on an air filter or something else......like holding onto it