No Power to the ignition.

mikelat

Cadet
Hi,

I have a 94 Four winns with an OB. I recently put in a new stereo and may have shorted something else out. I changed every fuse in the fuse box and everything but my ignition and trim work. There is a wire coming out of the back of the ignition/key that goes to a white reset box, and one that comes out of there. Those are the only wires from the key I can trace. Is there a fuse in that box? and what is that box called?

Thank you for your help

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: No Power to the ignition.

So exactly what is the problem? You haven't said. Engien won't start? Something doesn't work? What?

Just re-read your post again. Title says "No power to Ignition" yet in the text you say "ignition and trim work". I will assume the title is correct and the text is wrong. If you have no power to the starter and the trim doesn't work, replace the fuse under the engine cover. Since you didn't indicate what make, year and HP engine you have, we can't tell you where that fuse is. Regardless, there is one and it very likely blown.

NYBo

Admiral

Just re-read your post again. Title says "No power to Ignition" yet in the text you say "ignition and trim work".
Actually, he said everything BUT the ignition and trim work.:)

As Silvertip often points out, a boat has two electrical systems: one for the engine/motor and one for all the accessories, lights, etc. The power trim taps into the engine system. Time to trace the large wires going into the motor and see where the fault is.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If the trim and starter do not engage, check the engine fuse as I suggested. That prevents power from getting to the ignition switch and the trim system.

rwidman

Lieutenant

If the boat has a kill switch that's meant to stop the engine if you fall out of the boat, you might want to check that it has not been tripped.

Other than that, go back and check your work. If it worked before you worked on it, the problem was caused by something you did.