Merc 25hp outboard leaking oil from propeller

cpabrams3

Recruit
I have a 2005 25 hp Merc outboard 2 stroke. It started to leak milky oil with a little water yesterday. I removed the lower unit bottom plug and the oil there looks clear and not milky. I pulled the propeller and the lower unit seal looks okay. In the rear above and behind the propeller shaft is the exhaust port. It looks like that is where the oil is coming from. I had the engine tilted overnight and there was about three or four ounces of oil in the propeller shaft. It smells a little like it was burnt. I am at a lost as to know where the oil is coming from and if this is serious. Thanks for any information you can give me.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Re: Merc 25hp outboard leaking oil from propeller

Sounds like a little bit of leaked down unconsumed engine oil. If your LU oil looks good you should be ship shape.

cpabrams3

Recruit

Thanks,
I did not know that oil mixed with the gas would not burn completely and no idea it could accumulate like this. I suppose my last tank of gas I must have put too much oil in. I mixed it 50-1. Thanks again for your reply.
Coop

lncoop

Vice Admiral

Thanks,
I did not know that oil mixed with the gas would not burn completely and no idea it could accumulate like this. I suppose my last tank of gas I must have put too much oil in. I mixed it 50-1. Thanks again for your reply.
Coop

Others with more knowledge may correct me on this, but I believe that's just something that happens from time to time. I don't think there's any reason to suspect your fuel/oil ratio. That said, I really like those clear plastic bottles that just tell you to "fill to this mark for 50:1", etc. I'm for anything that makes life simpler, especially for less than five bucks.:cool:

cpabrams3

Recruit

The oil has a burnt smell which makes me think it is oil that did not burn. Yea, I like the clear strip on the oil bottle too. Good fishing....

cpabrams3

Recruit

Thanks....I have one on the way. I have always had trouble mixing oil and think bottle looks like it will solve the problem. Thanks again for the tip! Coop