I found the Paperwork and Manuals!

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade
:D

Our family had a cottage, Grandpa bought it in 1954, and in 1969 he bought a brand new Johnson Reveler 155 tri-hull speedboat. It was off- limits to me, and most of the family, ( adults included) until we could demonstrate that we were responsible enough that we could handle the boat on our own. I was one of just a few of the younger generation around that compelled him to let me take the helm on my own.

This was the first speedboat I ever drove, and it meant the world to me that Grandpa trusted me with it, and that we kept it kinda to ourselves, lest someone become jealous over such a situation that the young boy could take out the speedboat, but uncle so and so could not...

Grandpa died some years ago, and the cottage remained in the family, but needed someone to look after the place. My girlfriend and I became the caretakers, with updates all the time to Grandma. House needs this, piers need that, and I will take care of it for you, and for the family. This went on for quite a number of years, and the decision eventually was made to sell the place.

Late in October, 1998, my lovely girlfriend and I were taking out the Reveler for one last hot lap around the lakes, then into the boathouse for winter layup. Well, it was on that day , out on Grandpas boat, that I proposed to my now wife.

I had taken the owners manual and paperwork home with me to check on a couple things so I could get some parts, and when I got back to the cottage to return it , the boat was gone.

Well, the place got sold , took 3 years , , and the boat was inherited by my cousin that had moved to another part of the the country, and had it moved there. The owners manual was still in my possesion, but we had moved 3 times, and I could not find it, though I desperately wanted it to go with the boat to my cousin. She did not even know that I had it....:redface:

Well , yesterday I was in one of my old houses, searched around quite a bit, and found up on a support beam the original owners manual , owners registration card, and a list of the last repairs I did to the outdrive and engine, in 1998! I jumped for joy, then cried a little bit and clung to that paperwork like I was giving Grandpa a hug like I was a liittle boy, after driving the boat under his watchful eye..

I have now found out that my cousin has restored the boat, rebuilt the motor and renewed the outdrive, and cares for it very, very well. I had my doubts at first, but I was wrong and she the same feelings of nostalgia about that old boat, and it makes me feel really great that it is in caring, capable hands. I wish I had it, but am glad it went to her and it is so well cared for.

I now have the opportunity to send her the manuals and paperwork , which I feel will make the boat whole again. I kinda want to hang on to the manual, but I know the right thing to do is to send it along, which is what I am going to do.

Attachments

• johnson reveler.jpg
    johnson reveler.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 0
  • johnson paige.jpg
    johnson paige.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 0

woosterken

Lieutenant
Re: I found the Paperwork and Manuals!

WOW!! great story can you take all the paper work some place and have it all copied?
or scan it in your computer and print it out?

woosterken

DECK SWABBER 58

Lieutenant Commander

GREAT STORY!

I've posted some "grandpa memories" here too.

What dockside chat should be all about. Right JB??!!!

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Ken, sure I can. Need some of it;)

Deck Swabber - thanks, it sure was the chat of the evening with my uncles that understood ....:)

M

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I enjoyed this too, because I have similar memories of my own grandfather. We had wooden skiffs to use during summers, but his pride and joy was a 14' cold molded, mahoghany Whirlwind. Just being allowed to operate it, with him kneeled behind us, one hand ready to pull the throttle back if needed, seemed like a big deal when we were small.

Here's to grandfathers and they magic that they make in our lives!

???

woosterken

Lieutenant

no, i was just wondering you said you would like to keep the manual :)
i got the original quick service manual with my '74 MFG . when i bought it PRICELESS!!

woosterken

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

no, i was just wondering you said you would like to keep the manual :)
i got the original quick service manual with my '74 MFG . when i bought it PRICELESS!!

woosterken

Yes, I would like to keep it, but not just for the nostalgia, it reminds me of Grandpa......when I give it to her , I give a piece of him away ,,,,,,so I want to keep it, but it will be hers, it is the right thing to do. I will, however, be making a nice copy, that does not smell as good as a 41 year old manual.;)and I am going to frame it as well.:)

Glad you found one for your MFG, those are pretty nice boats, and to have a users manual is icing on the cake.

To the other guys, thanks for the stories, memories shared and the new thread!:)