1980 Evinrude 115 Tilt/Trim

SS_Darwin

Recruit
Hi,

Brand new to the site. I have read a ton of the topics on tilt/trim but have not found anything to help me thus far, would appreciate some advice.

I have a 1980 Evinrude 115. THe problem is the tilt/trim. It will go down with absolutely no issues but will not raise back up. I don't get a click or anything. It started a little while back working fine, then about 1 out of 5, then about 1 out of 10, 1:20, and now pretty much one out of 50 times it will "click" on. When it does 'turn on' it works fine without hesitation.

I thought that it may be the switch on the throttle, but you can hear/feel it click and engage. I don't know how to test this.?

I have cleaned every connection.

Couple of questions: If the motor lowers, can it be the tilt/trim motor (can just the 'up' option go out?)?

How can I test the switch on the throttle to see if that is the issue?

Other suggestions?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1980 Evinrude 115 Tilt/Trim

Test the trim motor first. It should be a three wire motor if it's the 1980 original. Apply positive voltage diectly to the green wire at the trim motor, then the blue wire. Should move in and out. If the motor works check the solenoid.

See page 1 here (wire wound field motor): http://www.arcomarine.com/xhtml/tech tilt trim motor tips.pdf

Attachments

• 1979 PT&T Wiring W_O Gauge.JPG
    1979 PT&T Wiring W_O Gauge.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 0

SS_Darwin

Recruit

Thanks for the help. Will let you know how it turns out.

SS_Darwin

Recruit

Ok, I did that and the motor did run. Now, I will really show how mechanically ignorant I am. How do I test the solenoid? I am assuming that I hook the battery up and touch the blue to the positive on the solenoid and black to the negative pole on the solenoid? This solenoid has 4 bolts (poles) out of it, with a blue cable running off the left bolt and top bolt, the bottom bolt has the positve wire connection with a fuse off of it and the right bolt the negative connection.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The solenoid is grounded through its base. The power flows through it when it is activated by the trim switch and it is only used for raising the motor.

The common fault is the ground, which will cause a system failure if the ground is not good.

The solenoid may also fail if the wiring has a problem.

Generally: disconnect each wire and clean the terminals; check that the battery terminals are clean and that the wires are not corroded; then retest. If the solenoid fails, replace it: http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=111834&gd_row=17&**********=351788572