Chatter

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey all,

Lucky for me I have a brand new symptom to report. On previous post I went into much detail trying to diagnose an overheating problem. well I fixed half f it but the port side bank is till overheating.

No need to try and get an answer on why that is happening as I need more exploration.

But I have noticed a new problem. I have had the engine running for 2 months no on and off, working on it. It has always sounded great! No clinks bangs chatters, sounds exactly like an engine should.

On the side that is getting too hot though I have noticed a new problem has arisen. I am getting a lot of "chatter" under the valve covers (probably the valves).....why would this happen, is it a sign that something else is horribly wrong.

It just started doing this and seems to be getting louder....the oil is full and fresh and no water in it.

thx

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: Chatter

Are you sure it is not the exhaust flapper you hear rattling? Overheating can cause the rubber flappers to melt off and they start "chattering" ... just something to check.

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Chatter

Never thought of that, but sure sounds like the sounds coming from the heads....but easy enough to pull the boot's off and have a look

If it were actually the valves, or lifters, or pushrods, why would it start happening now/ Any thoughts