information please- small outboard motor

PWdog

Recruit
I wish to replace my old tired Evinrude 15 hp 2 stroke OB motor. Thinking of Nissan, Yamaha and Honda 4 stroke - maybe 9.9 ??? <br /><br />Each saleman make claims theirs is the best for some reason.... need input from you,<br />what is best ? which one is the best value for the bucks ... what brand would you buy & why? <br /><br />to be used on alum, 14 foot trout boat for lake fishing. <br /><br />I will appreciate your comments/help.<br /><br />------------------

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: information please- small outboard motor

Definitely go with the Honda. OK, so it costs a few bucks more, but thats more than made up for in reliability. One thing to consider if you are looking at only the 4 strokes is that Honda has been doing them for 25 years, the others are relatively new to the 4 stroke market and are just playing "Catch up".<br /><br />My Little Honda gets a lot of use in salt water and has yet to ever leave me stuck. <br /><br />Just my 2 cents. <br /><br />------------------

capt jimmy

Recruit

pwdog. you forgot about suzuki. 4 stroke motors are very quite. they are also very expensive.$$$$$ a mercury might suit your needs. mostly because they are the most known brand. but also because they cost a lot LESS) than the jap brands. for both parts warranty, and service. merc makes sence. a merc portable. 9.9is a great motor. but dont sacrifice. hp. for catching fish. a 9.9hp delevers 7.4 kw a 15 delevers 11.5kwhr.thats a big jump. if you have friends out fishin. go for the max.HP

likearock

Seaman Apprentice

hi PWdog,<br /> when you replace your 15hp would you be intersted in selling your old one? i may be in the market.<br /> thanks, likearock