Right prop for out of hole 5.0 L 260 HP Mercruiser

Flyer69

Cadet
Hello All.

First time poster and boat owner. I purchased a 2003 Baja Outlaw 20' with a 5.0 L Mercruiser 260 HP Alpha One outdrive. Current prop is a stainless steel Vengeance 21P. WOT advertised between 4600-5000 RPM. Boat hits these numbers.

Prop is great for going fast. Easily 60 mph plus on GPS. The problem is doing something other than going fast. Trying to pull a skier out with 4 people and full fuel to 3/4 fuel is horrible. Once the boat planes out it wants to take off like a raped ape. Yes I know that I am carrying a lot of weight, but I was thinking about changing the prop pitch to assist in getting out of the hole.

Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Jim

trendsetter240

Lieutenant
Re: Right prop for out of hole 5.0 L 260 HP Mercruiser

Hey flyer, welcome to iboats.

My suggestion would be to pick up a second prop that you can use for watersports and heavy loads. Your watersports prop should be 4 blade and 2 inches of pitch lower than your main prop.

I'd recomend the 4 blade solas amita aluminium 19" pitch. This will improve your holeshot and allow you to plane out faster with heavier loads/pulling tubes. You will just need to keep an eye on the RPM so you don't rev the motor too high.

They sell them for about 100 bucks right here on iboats.

sethjon

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hello All.

First time poster and boat owner. I purchased a 2003 Baja Outlaw 20' with a 5.0 L Mercruiser 260 HP Alpha One outdrive. Current prop is a stainless steel Vengeance 21P. WOT advertised between 4600-5000 RPM. Boat hits these numbers.

Prop is great for going fast. Easily 60 mph plus on GPS. The problem is doing something other than going fast. Trying to pull a skier out with 4 people and full fuel to 3/4 fuel is horrible. Once the boat planes out it wants to take off like a raped ape. Yes I know that I am carrying a lot of weight, but I was thinking about changing the prop pitch to assist in getting out of the hole.

Suggestions please.

Thanks,

Jim

21P is a little too much for me. I'd use 18. Also, I would go with an aluminum 4 blade.

backyardhockey2

Seaman Apprentice

I've got an 18' w/Alpha1 and a 305 200 hp. Same issue. I went from a 3 blade alum 21 pitch to a 4 blade alum 19. Hole shot improved considerably. RPM's still a little low. Then went to a 17. Lost a couple mph at wot, but rpm now in the sweet spot. Got 'em from Iboats. THe solis amita.

Flyer69

Cadet

Thanks all for the replies. I found a brand new, still in the box 19P 3 blade aluminum on Craigslist for $55. Could not pass this up.

I took the boat out yesterday with my 21P prop and with WOT I did hit 5000 RPM which for my engine the WOT range is 4600-5000. So what i have on the boat is the correct prop but alas, it is not right for skiing when the boat is loaded.

I will use the 19P when planning on skiing and the 21P at other times. Don't want to risk over revving the engine with the 19P even though there is a rev limiter on my motor.

Jim

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Baja's are somewhat heavy deep v boats its a bit tough for that design to jump out of the hole.....they make excellent cruisers. You could put some trimtabs on her and that should help your hole shot quite a bit..Nauticus makes a very inexpensive tab..I think 120 gets a pair

backyardhockey2

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks all for the replies. I found a brand new, still in the box 19P 3 blade aluminum on Craigslist for $55. Could not pass this up.

I took the boat out yesterday with my 21P prop and with WOT I did hit 5000 RPM which for my engine the WOT range is 4600-5000. So what i have on the boat is the correct prop but alas, it is not right for skiing when the boat is loaded.

I will use the 19P when planning on skiing and the 21P at other times. Don't want to risk over revving the engine with the 19P even though there is a rev limiter on my motor.

Jim

When you get a 4 blade your skiers will thank you.

Flyer69

Cadet

Just a follow up for all. Took my new 19P prop out this week. Definitely need to keep an eye on the RPM's as it easily can exceed 5000. Does a better job at getting out of the hole but I was not overly impressed like I thought I would be.

3 hours into the day I noticed vibration in the steering wheel and throttle. I knew something was up with the prop. Lucky me I must have hit bottom or an underwater structure as now I am taking my prop into a repair shop to have a 1.5" fracture line and bent blade repaired.

The good thing is that I continue to help keep the economy going!

walleyehed

Admiral

Although you may be into aluminum, I've found (by many, many test runs) that the SS MWC Apollo in the larger diameter (2 sizes avail.) is one heck of a load pusher on a 19-6 wellcraft with a 228 5.0. It's got more blade area and pushes very nicely (pulls). So if you ever want to step up a bit, that would be a good one.
The Solas Lexor would be another in the same class in SS.

Flyer69

Cadet

I'm a Stainless kind of guy except the area I run is a aluminum kind of area. Very shallow waters with lots of junk floating above and below the water. I put my 21P SS back on while my brand new aluminum is being repaired. The gentleman repairing my prop is going to cup the ends which will give me better pull and lower the rpms.

Thanks,

Jim