1960 gale buccaneer 15hp

floydyb

Recruit
Just got a 1960 Gale 15 hp model # 15D 10B i want to used as a back up but it wont start . the person i got it from said it grand father had it and then is was give to him and he never used it. he said he tried start it a few time and it never start, don't look like there is any mix in the gas look like they were using it on straight gas trying to start the motor i clean the car. and put new plugs.
any suggestion why it not starting and where can i get parts for this old motor

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1960 gale buccaneer 15hp

Howdy, Floyd.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Go to the Engine FAQs Forum and do "Outboard won't start".

Let us know what you find.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just got a 1960 Gale 15 hp model # 15D 10B i want to used as a back up but it wont start . the person i got it from said it grand father had it and then is was give to him and he never used it. he said he tried start it a few time and it never start, don't look like there is any mix in the gas look like they were using it on straight gas trying to start the motor i clean the car. and put new plugs.
any suggestion why it not starting and where can i get parts for this old motor

If it still has the original coils under the flywheel it will have to have new ones.
Sierra Marine P/N is 18-5181 available thru marine dealers, NAPA Auto Parts, on-line and ad nauseum. Prices vary from $25 for a pair to $30 each depending on source.
But no point in spending the $ until you verify that it has enough compression to make it worth the outlay of cash.
The fuel system must be clean from gascap vent all the way to the reedplate.

CAUTION! that is a 24/1 fuel/oil mix motor! Do NOT be tempted to use less than 1/3 of a pint of TCW-3 oil to each gallon of gas no matter WHAT it sez on the oil container!!!

Study the following links to get yourself up to speed on reviving old OMCs.

<http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/01/articles/oldoutboards/index.htm>

<http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680>

floydyb

Recruit

IMG00006-20100825-1733.jpg

IMG00005-20100825-1733.jpg

IMG00008-20100825-1734.jpg
thank you for ur advise i see that but i don't know how to remove the plate to see more any idea ? or trick if you you can see the crack i remove the nut and still can't get it off

twocyclemania

Chief Petty Officer

You will need a wheel puller to 'pop' the flywheel. It's very easy; just don't smack the puller too hard with the hammer; not good for the crank assembly. A few sharp taps should do the trick. Try to find someone familiar with a 'wheel puller.' The coils you have look to be the originals; pink plastic. Cracked or not I can tell you without a doubt they're toast. Get new coils and you should be able to get a good spark. I have a 61 or 62 Gale 15 and its a great runner. Start with new coils. The condensers may be okay. If not you'll know once you replace the coils and still don't get a spark. 'Dress' and lubricate the points and usually they're okay. Most of the time when I replace the coils it's all that's needed from the ignition end. good luck!

thinepa

Cadet
Bump - I know it's been a long time, but wondering if you ended up getting your motor running?
I have a 61 15hp Buc and am hoping to get it going in the near future.
Any advice on where you went for parts?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Bump - I know it's been a long time, but wondering if you ended up getting your motor running?
I have a 61 15hp Buc and am hoping to get it going in the near future.
Any advice on where you went for parts?

Please read the Help Tip on top of the page and start your own thread. 5 years is way past our limit for posting to inactive threads. Thanks.