1972 Evinrude 6hp

Hey Im fixing up an old fishing boat that belonged to my Great grandfather. Its been sitting in my Dads barn for many years and I recently have cleaned it up pretty good but the motor has some problems.

My 1972 Evinrude 6 horsepower outboard motor is only firing on one cylinder and so it won't idle. I believe one of the coils is not functioning properly since I could only get one spark plug to fire. What do you think with this given information? Do you have any advice?

I have been reading some of the other threads and I think the thing to do would be to replace one of the coils. Does anyone know where I can download a free pdf of the owners manual and not have to pay money?

It would be nice to get it going again I have some good memories fishing on the boat from when I was a little kid.

Any help is appreciated :)

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1972 Evinrude 6hp

Welcome to iBoats.

An owners manual wont help replacing the coils.
Service manual is what your after.

Thanks for all the info. Ive ordered another coil and am ready to begin the installment. Ive managed to get the main nut off of the flywheel but cannot for the life of me get the flywheel off. I've been reading some of the other responses about using a harmonic balancer puller, they say you "need 3 - #8 harden bolts, that fit the 3 holes in your flywheel." Would these be the 3 holes that are revealed when you take the main nut off along with the tin covering (almost like a washer) that are located on the top center of the flywheel? Also if I were to obtain a harmonic balancer puller how does it work in pertaining to the flywheel? Does the flywheel unscrew off or does it get pulled vertically off? I think that somehow it must be unscrewed off.

Also from my understanding there are torque specifications for the nut when replacing the flywheel. Do you know of the torque specs for a 1972 evinrude 6hp motor? I think that it might be 60-80 inch pounds but am not sure. Also what tool would I use to make sure that the nut is tightened to this specification?

Sorry I know a lot of questions

Thank you

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You use the puller to pull the flywheel straight up, it does not unscrew. You have to use the three holes yon mentioned to attach the puller to the flywheel. You have to use a torque wrench to tighten the flywheel back on. You need to get an OEM manual for your engine, it will help you do repairs and have all the specs for your engine.

Willyclay

Captain

Do you know of the torque specs for a 1972 evinrude 6hp motor? I think that it might be 60-80 inch pounds but am not sure. Also what tool would I use to make sure that the nut is tightened to this specification?

The link below is the factory timing procedures for two cylinder OMC outboards with magneto
ignitions. Note that the torque spec for your motor is 40-45ft-lbs., NOT inch-pounds!

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s311/frankr_photos/TimingFixtureInstructions.jpg

You should be able to rent a harmonic balancer puller and a torque wrench at one of the big chain auto parts stores like Advance or Auto Zone. FYI, I made my own puller out of a piece of 1/2inch steel plate. Also, make sure you do not insert the three puller bolts beyond the threads in the flywheel because you can damage stuff under there. Good luck with that great old motor!

Last edited:

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Thanks for all the info. Ive ordered another coil and am ready to begin the installment. Ive managed to get the main nut off of the flywheel but cannot for the life of me get the flywheel off. I've been reading some of the other responses about using a harmonic balancer puller, they say you "need 3 - #8 harden bolts, that fit the 3 holes in your flywheel." Would these be the 3 holes that are revealed when you take the main nut off along with the tin covering (almost like a washer) that are located on the top center of the flywheel? Also if I were to obtain a harmonic balancer puller how does it work in pertaining to the flywheel? Does the flywheel unscrew off or does it get pulled vertically off? I think that somehow it must be unscrewed off.

Also from my understanding there are torque specifications for the nut when replacing the flywheel. Do you know of the torque specs for a 1972 evinrude 6hp motor? I think that it might be 60-80 inch pounds but am not sure. Also what tool would I use to make sure that the nut is tightened to this specification?

Sorry I know a lot of questions

Thank you

So far it has been suggested that 1) you get an OEM service manual (great idea and worth every penny) and 2) that you don't just replace one coil, that you replace all ignition components under the flywheel (more $$$, but for lots of reasons could also be very sound advice).

You seem to be ignoring the advice.

I have the 1975 version of that motor and on a couple of occasions have had one cylinder lose spark and it was not the coil either time.

What will be your next move if you put that new coil in and it is not the solution?

Not trying to be a smart ***, but if you are not sure whether" the flywheel screws on" you are probably just starting to learn about outboards and unless you are prepared to throw new parts at a problem until one sticks, you need to adopt a methodical approach to troubleshooting (so that if the problem is just a set of points that need to be dressed and re-gapped you do that forst instead of after replacing a perfectly sound coil) and the OEM manual will assist greatly.
This will save you $$$$.

~or~ change both coils, points, and condensers as was suggested.
That will save time.

Thanks for the advice guys. I just bought a service manual and went to autozone and got the harmonic balancer puller and torque wrench. I took a look at the coils and the insulation on the wires was completly missing on both coils. I think that the one cylinder that worked last time it was used barely was able to get that spark and the other coil is far gone so I will replace both of them.

When I opened up the flywheel up last night I noticed that there was some oil under the flywheel and on the coils. (I think that this might have been what was eating away at the insulation on the coil wires) I read that it was not good to have any kind of oil under the flywheel. Im thinking that somehow oil was getting into the hood when it was in operation last time. Still waiting on the ground shipping for the service manual, but anyone have any ideas.

Thanks again for all the help guys. Im pretty new at this and appreciate all the helpful tips.
:)

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Upper crank seal could be leaking, allowing oil to get in there.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Replace the water pump impeller too. Its a pretty easy job.

One peculiarity of it, however, is that the link for the upper and lower shift rods, is inside of the midsection, right at the joint with the gearcase. To access it, unbolt the gearcase, shift the motor into reverse and look into the approximately half inch gap that will result. You will see the brass link - remove the bottom bolt completely, so that it will clear the indented portion of the shift rod, at its tip.

You may have to rotate the gearcase/driveshaft a little, because there is a roll pin keeper at the top of the driveshaft. That keeper holds a seal assembly in place. The seal assembly rests in a pocket in the top of the midsection and that pocket has a slotted base, where the driveshaft fits up, into it. You will have to remove the roll pin to get the impeller off of the driveshaft - don't forget to put it back in! Failure to do so will result in the seal assembly allowing water to get by the bottom of the crankshaft, into the engine. The usual result is an engine that will eventually "freeze."

???

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the advice guys. I just bought a service manual and went to autozone and got the harmonic balancer puller and torque wrench. I took a look at the coils and the insulation on the wires was completly missing on both coils. I think that the one cylinder that worked last time it was used barely was able to get that spark and the other coil is far gone so I will replace both of them.

When I opened up the flywheel up last night I noticed that there was some oil under the flywheel and on the coils. (I think that this might have been what was eating away at the insulation on the coil wires) I read that it was not good to have any kind of oil under the flywheel. Im thinking that somehow oil was getting into the hood when it was in operation last time. Still waiting on the ground shipping for the service manual, but anyone have any ideas.

Thanks again for all the help guys. Im pretty new at this and appreciate all the helpful tips.
:)

You are well on the way ....:)
Since you are replacing both coils (IMO the smart move) the incremental cost of points and condensors is pretty small so you should consider doing that , too.

They are sweet little motors, good luck.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

You are well on the way ....:)
They are sweet little motors, good luck.

That they are. I have a '69 Johnson 6hp that I use as a kicker. Before this, it was used on another boat and run at WOT pretty much constantly. I don't know how many hours I ran it that way, but its easily in the thousands of hours. To this day, the motor still starts with a couple of pulls and runs great.

???

All right so I got the new condensers and coils,points and need to adjust the gaps. I 've read all about what I need to do and have the gap adjuster for 0.020in. From the service manual I bought it said that I need to turn the timing plate clockwise and the gaps will open and close. When they are open that is where the gap is 0.020 from my understanding and I have been messing around with the screw that is suppose to adjust the gaps. Problem is though I cant get the things to spin at all. When the flywheel is on the magneto has no problems spinning clockwise but when I take it off it wont spin anymore. The manual shows the plate with the coils etc. spinning clockwise and the gaps opening and closing accordingly to where they are on the cycle.

So close to getting it done. Once I have this fixed should have the engine going pretty good.

Also a sidenote:
I've bought the service manual but dont have the operators manual. Ive never really ran the motor before, I was too young last time it was in use. But Ive been doing some research online and watching youtube for the overall running and start up procedures. Could someone in a detailed sequntial order list out what steps to take to start up the motor once the maintance is finished.

Obviously first pull the starter and most people have the gear in neutral to begin with. But what about the choke and the trimmer (the knob with the 1,3,5,7) on it where it has two streaks and says enrich and lean for the fuel. What settings would you guys suggest when first starting it up?

Thanks!

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

All right so I got the new condensers and coils,points and need to adjust the gaps. I 've read all about what I need to do and have the gap adjuster for 0.020in. From the service manual I bought it said that I need to turn the timing plate clockwise and the gaps will open and close. When they are open that is where the gap is 0.020 from my understanding and I have been messing around with the screw that is suppose to adjust the gaps. Problem is though I cant get the things to spin at all. When the flywheel is on the magneto has no problems spinning clockwise but when I take it off it wont spin anymore. The manual shows the plate with the coils etc. spinning clockwise and the gaps opening and closing accordingly to where they are on the cycle.

So close to getting it done. Once I have this fixed should have the engine going pretty good.

Also a sidenote:
I've bought the service manual but dont have the operators manual. Ive never really ran the motor before, I was too young last time it was in use. But Ive been doing some research online and watching youtube for the overall running and start up procedures. Could someone in a detailed sequntial order list out what steps to take to start up the motor once the maintance is finished.

Obviously first pull the starter and most people have the gear in neutral to begin with. But what about the choke and the trimmer (the knob with the 1,3,5,7) on it where it has two streaks and says enrich and lean for the fuel. What settings would you guys suggest when first starting it up?

Thanks!

Read this....!!!

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=294072

It does not sound like you are setting the points properly.
The crankshaft has a cam lobe that opens each set of points once for each revolution of the crank, I'm not sure what you think should be spinning, but it is only the crankshaft that will turn.
The points should be set when the heel of the points rocker is on that lobe....more detailed instructions are in that thread in the link.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I put the crank nut back on until seated and rotate the crankshaft with a socket till the cam opens the breaker at the highest point, no need to be rotating magneto`s and such.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I put the crank nut back on until seated and rotate the crankshaft with a socket till the cam opens the breaker at the highest point, no need to be rotating magneto`s and such.

I do it that way also but then it's a pain to get the nut off again!

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I back it off with the impact gun at slow rotation.

Thanks for the advice guys got the points set today and it looks like all systems are now go. Tomorrow is the big day to get it started up. In my previous reply I addressed the start up procedures that I was familiar with. So far this is what I have gathered. If I am missing anything could someone please point it out.

1. Put gear in neutral/steering stick turn to start
2. Pull choke out
3. Open pressure release valve on gas tank
4. Connect fuel pump to tank and motor itself
5. Pump the fuel bulb until hardens
6. Pull the starter cord
7. Allow engine to warm up before taking off

Am I missing anything else?

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes

Cheers!