Huge texas rattlesnake

Status
Not open for further replies.

westexasrepublic

Chief Petty Officer
rattler.bmp

TEXAS RATTLER, THE GUY 6'2

WE GROW EM BIG HERE IN THIS PART OF TEXAS.

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Huge texas rattlesnake

Yep...everythings bigger in Texas.;)

Make a nice pair of boots.:D Not bad deep fried either.

natemoore

Master Chief Petty Officer

Came home to a 5' Eastern Diamondback coiled up in the mulch just beside the front porch. At first I thought the sound was my neighbor's lawn sprinkler pump. It had a bad bearing and made an awful noise. As I came closer to the front door, I noticed my three otherwise worthless cats hanging out in a semi-circle around the porch. Highly unusual. Then, just before reaching the porch, my body finally processed and recognized the sound. My blood was instantly curdled and I got chills like Chris Matthews, except they weren't just running up my leg. It took me a few panicked seconds to spot the rattler. Holy crap! A rattler in Florida? A rattler in Florida?!?!

Its skin in on a board hanging on a wall in my son's room. We had fun cutting it up. Its heart continued to beat as we passed it around among the neighborhood kids. Gnarly!

Two other large rattlers were killed on our street that year.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Seems every time an interesting pic hits the net there are about 50 different stories invented (all lies) to go with it.

There is no pic, but I would wager it is the same pic that my Bro sent me this week with a tale that it was from the NC swamps.

No proof, of course, but I haven't seen this version of the pic.

Um. . . .Why is there no pic??

Bill Kilgore

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am currently able to view the photo.

Looks like about a medium...

Mark SF

Seaman

In California we try to live alongside the wildlife, instead of chopping it up and nailing it's skins to boards.

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

Seems every time an interesting pic hits the net there are about 50 different stories invented (all lies) to go with it.

There is no pic, but I would wager it is the same pic that my Bro sent me this week with a tale that it was from the NC swamps.

No proof, of course, but I haven't seen this version of the pic.

Um. . . .Why is there no pic??

Pic works for me.

And you mean like this?:
http://davidasteen.blogspot.com/2009/07/return-of-giant-killed-rattlesnake.html
Scroll down, second pic.
8/3/10 Addendum

Well, it's been nearly a year since a new picture of a giant dead rattlesnake started doing the rounds...But it looks like Batesville, Arkansas is joining the club...I recently became aware of a number of hits to this blog based on keywords suggesting a new tale was circulating. A quick Google search brought the following picture to my attention.

Batesville, Arkansas this time.

Until the guy in the picture walks up and tells me the story in person, sober, I'm not believing any of it! ;)

JB

Thanks for that link, roncoop.

Yes, the pic my Brother sent me is in there along with others that are held toward the camera on long poles.

I don't know that WTR knew it was bogus and I am sure my Bro didn't know. . . both just repeating what they found on the net.

natemoore

In California we try to live alongside the wildlife, instead of chopping it up and nailing it's skins to boards.

My aren't we self righteous? Put down your herbal tea, get off your yoga mat and listen up: Here in the panhandle of Florida, we're not willing to risk death or serious injury to our children in order to achieve some higher state of enlightenment with the Green God.

levittownnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My aren't we self righteous? Put down your herbal tea, get off your yoga mat and listen up: Here in the panhandle of Florida, we're not willing to risk death or serious injury to our children in order to achieve some higher state of enlightenment with the Green God.

I second that.
Nick in NY

Engreps

Seaman Apprentice

I grew up inthe panhandle and have seen some of the snakes in that area. Neighbors kid played with acoral snake foa a day and turned it loose. His dad had him pick ou the snake in a book and identified it as a coral snake. His father found it close to where it was turned loose and killed it. The only good snake is in a zoo. The rest of them when they cross my path get dead..

j_martin

Admiral

And every once in awhile a cougar (likely on a bicycle) gets eaten by a mountain lion.:D

JB

Many folks have exaggerated ideas of the threat represented by venomous snakes. They at least attempt to kill any snake they see, including those 90% that are harmless.

Other folks have exaggerated ideas of the benefits to the local ecology represented by venomous snakes.

Neither is qualified to bash those of opposing points of view, and both are self righteously wrong to some degree. Further insults will smite this thread.

I was bitten by a cottonmouth when I was young because I stepped on it while barefoot. I did not kill it, it did not kill me.

I do not knowingly molest any snake on The Hideout, and if I ever again step on a venomous snake it will have to settle for a boot to bite. I would not allow anyone else to molest snakes here.

Yes, WTR, that is the same pic my Bro claims was killed in the NC swamp. It even has the same claim that the guy is 6'2". The camera has an amazing depth of field. That snake is at least 6' closer to the lens than the guy with the pole.

mphy98

Lieutenant

In our yard, the only good snake is a dead snake. We live out in the county, and about 14 years ago came across a Timber rattler by the side of the road when walking my son and dog. My wife took the dog and ran home to get a rake and hoe to kill it. Yes they are a little rare around here, but the neighbor kids 4 and6 at the time had a habit of picking up snakes (garter mostly) and would have gotten very ill or could have died if they had tangled with this thin. It was about 3 1/2 feet long. My wife's tree hugging aunt was appalled and would not believe that it was a rattler until I showed her a picture of it. She tried to report me to the DNR, but had no evidence. She is not welcome at our home anymore. She valued a snake more than kids. TYPICAL. So I know that snakes do keep down the mice and such, but just stay away from us.

natemoore

I never kill non-poisonous snakes, and I wouldn't kill a poisonous snake I ran across out in the woods, either, unless I had no choice. Coiled up on my front stoop, that's different. You think Fish and Wildlife is going to come out and get it? We can't even get them out to cull down the coyote pack that lives in the neighborhood. You think I'm going to play Steve Irwin trying to put it in sack and relocating it? Not a chance. Killing it was the only viable option.

If it makes anyone feel better, I performed chest compressions this morning on a cute little gecko (uroplatus fimbriatus) that I found motionless in my pool. Little fellow didn't make it. I also rescued several little frogs from the skimmers. So, I'm good.

JAY 22

Cadet

this coming from some hippie frfom san fran. im from livermore and i kill everything that moves. especially a rattle snake, theres no good rattle snake but a dead rattle snake! i dont care what u say about it

natemoore

this coming from some hippie frfom san fran. im from livermore and i kill everything that moves. especially a rattle snake, theres no good rattle snake but a dead rattle snake! i dont care what u say about it

This is a fun thread, so don't get it kilt! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.