Fixed my 35 hp merc

I asked last week for ideas about why my merc 300 would idle but cut off if you tried to give it fuel. after cleaning out what I thought was a clogged carb the boat still would not run other than very slow. I then replaced the primmer bulb and this didnt help so I took off the fuel pump and then tried to pump in fuel and THEN I discovered the problem. Last winter when I was making gas tank connections for another tank I used a fuel connector that was too small. It was restricting the flow.........Its now been corrected and the next shake down cruise will be this week,,,,Thanks to those that read my question and didnt have any idea of what to do,,,,,Now YOU KNOW

Dave1027

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Fixed my 35 hp merc

What do you mean "cut out"? Was it hesitating on acceleration? Or were you enable to get any rpm above idle?

Re: Fixed my 35 hp merc

Once I primed it it would crank and start off normal but then a few seconds later stop. I would prime it again and it would crank and idle ok untill I would try to open the throttle more just a little, The fuel bowl was filling very slow due to the restriction letting in just enough fuel so it would idle,,,,,I caused this problem and feel good that I also fixed it.