outboard throttle problems

lucy an luke

Cadet
I have 1985 johnson 15 hp , I have had in shop they rebuilt the carburator it ran but not good. it sat all winter ,was going to take it out last weekend ,put it in 55gal barrel with water I notice that the throttle is real hard to turn .it started but will only run for about 15 seconds checked fuel pump .its clean .when it does start you have to have it at full throttle ,using the choke seems to do nothing ,can't figure out why throttle is so hard to work .bought a manual it is SELOC for 1971-89 there is no stuff in it about throttle linkage or adjusting it.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: outboard throttle problems

It's possible they don't have the linkage hooked up right. That's what it sounds like anyway. Maybe your manual will have a picture or drawing of the linkage connections or possibly someone on this forum has a picture or at least a better description of it.

lucy an luke

Cadet

thank you . Im thinking it something in carb. it did sit for about 8 months after carb. was overhauled , they have the idle screw turned all the way in,I also forgot to menition that I live at over 8,400 ft in elevation.

lucy an luke

Cadet

on the top of your carb there is a mixture screw there is a seal where the mixture goes in it all cracked .will that seal effect the way it runs any.if so where can i get the seal.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

You need to remove the starter. Not a bad job taking it off, but putting it back on is a job. Take your time.

lucy an luke

Cadet

are you talking about the rope starter ,the electric starter is on the other end of motor mine has both . if it is the rope starter do you take the big bolt out to get off ,it won't unwind will it.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

You have to loosen the large bolt but not completley remove the bolt from the starter.

lucy an luke

Cadet

got carb. off was checking it an noticed that the slow speed screw the adj. needle retainer is all cracked . will that have any effect on whether it will or not.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

the retainer being cracked shouldn't effect the motors running ability, but you should change it when you can.

lucy an luke

Cadet

how is the easy way to make sure the fuel pump is working , an not just pressure from the pump bulb on fuel hose.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Disconnect the fuel line that runs from the pump to the carb and crank the motor a few times. You should see fuel come out of the line (however, don't expect a fast stream of fuel, just a little bit will come out). You can also take the fuel pump off and try to blow through it. You should be able to blow into the inlet but not into the outlet.

lucy an luke

Cadet

how is the easy way to make sure the fuel pump is working , an not just pressure from the pump bulb on fuel hose. at my elevation 8,400 an higher in colorado where should I start with my idle mixture screw 1 1/4 turns out ,someone told me at this altitude I should start with more turns because there is less air an my have set the idle a little higher . got to get it to run first.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Can't help you much with the altitude thing....but it does make sense to open the needle valve more, I just don't how much more. That will probably be a trial and error test.

lucy an luke

Cadet

I just got a new compresson gauge an checked both cyclinders an they have 65bls . when I had carb. overhauled 8 mos. ago shop said top was 100 bottom 95 lbs. I have been reading a lot of fourms some said with the motor sitting a long time the rings are stuck that maybe I should try some seafoam to loosen them up. you think it worth a try.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Decarb the engine and recheck the compression.

lucy an luke

Cadet

thank you. the closet auto part is auto zone do think they would have something like that'

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

They should have it, it's a commonly used product. If you can get Sea Foam in liquid form, add some to the gas tank and it will keep the motor cleaner. It won't help the carb though.

lucy an luke

Cadet

I found the seafoam ,thank you. I got the motor runnning it is in a 55 gal. barrel an it will idle all day, but when you put in gear it will die , even quicker if you give it some gas. I think I may have to put some rings in it .does anyone know how hard that is to do .Do you need any special tools to take the power head apart ,an get pistons out. maybe the motor is not worth . I have been looking on line for motors , you can almost , buy a boat , motor, an trailer for what they want for just a motor by it's self. buying a used one ,you don't know what your getting . I know if it does not have good compresson , you don't want it.