Prop shaft

tjbron

Recruit
I've got a big problem. A few weeks ago, I noticed a slight rattle in my lower unit while flushing the saltwater out in my driveway. I used it a couple more times with no problems.

Then yesterday, the lower unit made horrible grinding noises and obviously had big problems. The diagnosis, a bent prop shaft and I need a new lower unit.

When talking with the dealer, they said I must have hit something. However, the prop is absolutely pristine with no sign of damage whatsoever. It's under warranty, but I am told there is not way they will cover a bent prop shaft because you must have hit something.

My question, is there a way to get a bent prop shaft without hitting anything?

Thanks

James R

Commander
Re: Prop shaft

Are you running a stainless steel prop. If you are there may be almost no mark but you could have hit something.
It is not unknown for a bearing to fail especially if there is insufficient oil in there.
I have experience one lower failure which appeared to be as a result of perhaps the dealer not checking or filling the lower unit. I believe that it was the residue from the factory test that was baked hard and the unit was locked solid.

AtDRiverVA

Recruit

You could have had an unbalanced prop and after time it prematurely wears the bearing and seals. Then you get water in the oil, then you really start hearing the noise and vibration once the water gets in. Lots of prop you buy with the name "xxxxx racing" all need to be balanced. Even pleasure boaters need a balanced prop. Anything you can do to make less wear goes for longer. I think the dealer owes you the labor at the very least!

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

unkown engine.
post a model number.
was it in or out of gear while flusing?
and an obvious lack of trained competent techs inspecting your rig.
beware the flying monkeys.