What spark plugs are best

metor99

Seaman
I am asking the question because i have seen many different opions on spark plugs. I was just reading a post that said that older motors PRE- 1987 needed to have spark plugs that had a bent end and not a flush plug. I have a 1986 force 50 hp and there are several plugs for my motor.

NGK 2522 buhx, A/c delco vb40ffm, Auto Lite 2892, Champion ul18v, GM 5613472

My question is, are all cross referance spark plugs the same even though the book says they are a direct replacement. The ngk 2522buhx is a very different plug than the rest. and some say dont use them in older motors.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: What spark plugs are best

If your engine has electronic ignition, the only plug to use is a surface gap plug. Brand doesn't usually matter but the plugs are not exactly direct replacements and some engines are fussy about them.

metor99

Seaman

On my motor i have points and cond, the motor had ul18v champion plugs in it when i got the motor. ( surface gap) I installed the ngk 2522 buhx in the motor as i could not get the other plugs at the local parts store. Was this the wrong plug. The end is totally different. will it hure the motor.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Points ignition USUALLY does not have the power to adequately fire a surface gap plug. If the engine started and ran well with them, then you know that the ignition system is in tip-top shape. If it did not start or started and ran poorly, then changing the plugs will probably help.

Will the NGK plugs "hurt" the engine? I know that on the larger 3 and 4 cylinder engines with electronic ignition it is a possibility that bent electrode plugs will melt holes in the pistons. Smaller engines like yours? I can not say. But with points ignition, I THINK you will be OK!

couchise

Seaman

I have a the buhx in my boat a 1987 85 hp and in the boat it calls for the ul18v which are also a flat end spark plug. I have found that they have been good and no issues. the guy i bought from had the ones with the gap in them i phoned my local marina and they said the correct ones are the flat ones and so does my clymer manual.