Handheld GPS?

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Buddy of mine has a Lowrance Hunt C handheld GPS. It's the waterproof camo version with Wisconsin and Minnesota Chip. Anybody have any experience with one of these. I can get it for 100 bucks. Thanks guys

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
Re: Handheld GPS?

Handhelds are great for hunting, hiking, camping, etc but they're a little tough to read on a boat due to the small screen. However, if you don't have one at all, it's better than nothing. The concept is still the same. Mark your home port and it will help you get home. The main difference is, everything is determined in a straight line. On a marine GPS, it can be set to leave a trail of where you were. Most handhelds don't do that. If that one does, all the better.

Woodbinekeith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You might want to check out the Garmin for comparison. I have a Model 60c and find it is fascinating to work with on land. It can be set to leave a trail and then you can back track on the dots. It can do so much for such a small unit. Though it is a little pricey - about $350 - and see no reason why it wouldn't work on a boat. There are computer add-ons for marine. I take lots of AA batteries with me if I go into the bush. It doesn't take much of a clear spot in the bush to get a reading as there are 10-12 satellites that can be picked up.

pokman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you can leave a trail with this one. I know the water where I boat and just would use to have compass, set points check speed etc... I more was curious what you guys thought about the unit and price I could get it for.