Yamaha prop vs Turbo prop

Pursuit2550

Seaman
I have a 91 Pursuit 2550 w/02 Yamaha 250 OX66. I currentlly have a Yamaha 19m prop on there, i don't think its a sws2. Last time out it ran 43@4900, with the cavitation plate underwater. I just raised it one hole so i should gain 2-300 rpms. Now my question, i have a chance to buy a Turbo-Turbo 1 prop pretty cheap. Will there be a big difference in these 2 props? Can i lose rpm and mph? I don't want to spend my money on something that wont work for me.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Yamaha prop vs Turbo prop

The 19" Turbo 1 will bite harder than the 19" Yamaha prop. You're lugging the motor badly now so more bite will probably only make it worse.

Make one change at a time. You've established a baseline so test what raising the motor does but test with the same prop. Otherwise you lose the baseline.

Pursuit2550

Seaman

Thanks, I plan on taking it out this Friday. I will also be bringing a friends Turbo 17p 4 blade prop to test. I will hold of on buying the Turbo1 for now till i see what raising the engine did to my rpms.

Pursuit2550

Seaman

I just checked my pm's because i bought them here and it turns out its the ones you sold me. Ultima 4, they worked great on my twins, but one engine blew and wasn't worth fixing since they where old. I repowered with a single, so now i am back to testing engine height and props. Thanks

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The Ultimas are good props with good lift. It may want to run a bit higher than a standard 3 blade but would probably work nicely.

Pursuit2550

Seaman

Ok, went out today after raising my engine up 1 hole. With the Yamaha prop no change in speed or rpms, still the same. The motor was fully trimmed up and about 1/2 of the cavitation plate was out of the water. Cruise was 36mph@4400rpms. Ultima prop got me to 40mph@55-5600rpms, almost trimmed all the way. Cruise was 30mph@45-4600rpms. Question, should I raise the engine 1 more hole, so that the engine doesnt have to be trimmed all the way up and mabye pick up some rpms?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

If you can use 100% of the trim range without venting then generally speaking the motor is still too low for that prop.

Pursuit2550

Seaman

If you can use 100% of the trim range without venting then generally speaking the motor is still too low for that prop.

Yes thats correct, with the Yamaha prop it was trimmed al the way up and no rpm change and no venting or cavitation. With the Ultima yes I had to watch out with my trim because I would go over the 5500 rpms and vent. I guess I will have to raise it to the last hole and hope that thats enough for the Yamaha prop.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like that Ultima has been reworked or is worn. They usually hold a bite better than that.

Shawk

Seaman Apprentice

I've had several different props and the standard 3 blade Turbo always ran my 20' boats the best by far. VERY good props IMO... if they had a duoprop it would probably be on my boat now. :)