High idle problems

ktonkel

Cadet
I'm working on a 1961 Mercury 700 FGS Inline 6 (S/N A1417356). After replacing the impeller, some rotten wiring, and a Seafoam treatment, I had this running pretty well a couple weeks ago. I'm having a couple problems now. I'm pretty sure part of the problem is with the fuel pump. This past weekend it was losing power at WOT, and when I had my friend squeeze the bulb it would pick back up. I've ordered a kit to fix that. The other issue I'm having is with the idle. It wants to idle over 1k rpm. I've turned in the idle screws to their stops, then back out 1.5 turns to start. I start it up, and start turning the idle screws in 1/4 turn at a time. I can reach a point on the top and bottom carbs where the engine will start to stumble, and I'll back it out ~1/2 turn to keep it running. The middle carb however, I've turned in all the way to the stop and it wouldn't get the engine to stumble. I suppose I would need to clean/rebuild the carbs for that to work right. I turned the idle stop screw on the distributor out to where it wasn't even touching, and the idle was still about 1k rpm. If I get all 3 idle screws set right, would I need to adjust the link at the top of the distributor to get the idle below 1k? Or is there something else I need to do?
I am taking the rpms for granted since I don't have a tach yet to confirm what the gauge on the dash says. I know it's too high, and I want to fix it so I don't tear up the lower gears.

Thanks for any tips

merc850

Commander
Re: High idle problems

You can check the cable at the motor; disconnect it from the anchors then pull the distributor brass arm back until it idles slower (engine running) then spin the brass barrel [probably backwards] until both anchors line up and you can put them on. Set the idle stop to match the setting.
I think you should have someone at the controls just in case!

Attachments

• cable-adjt..jpg
    cable-adjt..jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0

ktonkel

Cadet
Re: High idle problems

Hmm, I'll try that tomorrow. I disconnected the cable to try and idle it back and I'm pretty sure I had the idle stop out as well but I'll check again.