Boats, Divers and Dogs

kg5388

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Spent Saturday providing Sheriff Boats for Dive Team and Search Dog Training.

Divers go down and open a scent pod and the dogs search and alerts when they find the source of the scent.

Once the Dogs alert on the sent we drop a buoy and circle around and do it again. Once we have a spot marked we can send the divers down or drag for the body.

We have some of the best dogs in the country that work on land and water.

DSCI1061.jpg

DSCI1056.jpg

DSCI1055.jpg

DSCI1046.jpg

DSCI1036.jpg

DSCI1035.jpg

Last edited:

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boats, Divers and Dogs

Yep, been there, got the t-shirt :) Where 'ya located?

huntndakota

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Never knew they used dogs over the water like that. Pretty cool

kg5388

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yep, been there, got the t-shirt :) Where 'ya located?

Memphis Tennessee

The boats and Divers belong to the Sheriff Dept and the Dog Teams are all NASAR certified and go all over the country.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

thats a wimpy boat for a sheriffs dept :D

QC

Supreme Mariner

We've always had Labs, but I was tired of getting them on and off the beach. I was doing a lot of traveling to Australia and I noticed they used Beagles in their Customs operations. I used to think of them as a kind of nuisance dog, and borderline untrainable, but these dogs were perfectly behaved, able to walk the luggage carousels, and you can pick 'em up and toss 'em anywhere you want. So . . . talked the wife into Daisy:

attachment.php

To my point . . . The Aussies think they're noses are the real deal, and I am telling you she is more driven by scent than any dog we have ever owned. She maps a room with scent like I would think a dolphin would map a lagoon with sonar. It's amazing to watch her. Buuuut, I have never seen a working one other than in Oz . . . :confused: And she loves the water, pops up on the bow like that as I soon as I take the boat off plane, and as soon as I throttle up she jumps back into her little sleeping spot. Seems like 25 lbs on a jon boat would be better than 100.

Now to the downside, she is borderline untrainable as she pretty much just does what she wants. That's partly because her Mommy spoils her to death, but that brings me back to the Customs ones that got me thinking about Beagles in the first place. They were perfect little ladies and gentlemen.

Attachments

• Daisy boater 002 crop and tilt resize.jpg
    Daisy boater 002 crop and tilt resize.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 0

royal0014

Memphis Tennessee

The boats and Divers belong to the Sheriff Dept and the Dog Teams are all NASAR certified and go all over the country.

Have worked in conjunction with 'cadaver' dogs before. Interesting exercise.

If ya'll do that kind of thing alot, tell your Sheriff to look into Rescue One boats http://www.rescueone.com/ They are purpose built, not sold to the public. Outstanding stability and features unique to water S/R. My Squad has three, one of which is CC with a jet for the river. We wouldn't trade them for anything.....

kg5388

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We have looked at the connector boats from rescue one but haven't decided on one.

We have 10' ,14' and 16' jonboats with 2 of the 16' in wide beam.

several inflatables

16' ranger aluminum with 60horse outboard with a jet drive.

28' aluminum that the Coast Guard used for buoy maint that they donated to us

Most of our body recoveries happen in ponds and small river/creeks during flooding.

we were training in a small pond and the cadaver dog trainers like to use trolling motors when searching. The boat with the gas motor was the safety boat.

This is cool stuff. You mean the dogs can smell a dead person who is floating on the bottom of maybe 20 feet or so of water?

royal0014

Wow kg, that's more boats than we have in the whole county :D
Most of our drownings are not-too-bright recreational boaters on the lake. An occasional swimmer at the State Park. Actually, it's been pretty uneventful this season, thankfully.

And yes, fairlane, that is correct. Not sure how deep they can smell, though. I would think it would depend on the condition of the body, and the water.

kg5388

Petty Officer 3rd Class

While one of our dogs was being certified it kept alerting in the wrong spot of the creek.
They would not certify the dog because of it. We returned and probed and dug up the spot and found bones and clothing.

It was from a drowning victim that was never recovered 2 years prior.
They certified the dog.

The deepest I've seen a dog locate was 30 feet deep where a guy took a little girls life jacket to save himself and let her drown.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Unlike her Daddy, of course, who wields the rock-steady hand of discipline....:rolleyes:;)
Well more than Mommy, but she is the spoiled little girl of the house that's for sure. She sleeps in our bed and often under the covers :rolleyes: Now Mrs. QC feels sorry for our Lab and she lets him in bed on weekend mornings :eek: :mad:

I am amazed at the underwater thing. Is it released gases as opposed to smelling through water?

royal0014

While one of our dogs was being certified it kept alerting in the wrong spot of the creek.
They would not certify the dog because of it. We returned and probed and dug up the spot and found bones and clothing.

It was from a drowning victim that was never recovered 2 years prior.
They certified the dog.

The deepest I've seen a dog locate was 30 feet deep where a guy took a little girls life jacket to save himself and let her drown.

Bring that dog to Alabama, we have one that's been missing since '96! Draggin' didn't find him,divers didn't find him, dogs didn't find him. A State bridge inspector/bell diver went down, said the bottom looked like a plowed field where we had been dragging for three weeks! We gave up after five weeks. I think he was in Mexico the whole time :mad:

Nandy

Commander

Was the guy charged? I mean, if you take someones means of flotation by force and that person drowns (a kid for gods sakes) it should be liable.

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's pretty interesting. I, also, didn't know they could smell a body like that.

I may regret asking this but... what's in a "scent pod"? Ewwww.