Is this bad?? (Catastrophic failure!)

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Do you think I can stick this back together with some Elmer's glue? Or maybe some duct tape?

All joking aside, this poor motor was left in my driveway over the weekend. It was a 1974 Merc 500 50hp. Guy said it had been running great, but it went KACHUNK!!! while he was pulling his kids on a tube. The motor was also mounted on a pontoon! Poor thing was probably screaming it's guts out when the crank let go. I have another crankshaft onhand, so this one may yet live to churn up the water again - on something other than a 'toon...

Attachments

• Merc50BrokenCrank_3264.jpg
    Merc50BrokenCrank_3264.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Merc50BrokenCrank_3263.jpg
    Merc50BrokenCrank_3263.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 0

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Is this bad?? (Catastrophic failure!)

Well I can tell you that Elmers glue is NOT the right glue for that job. What were you thinking :eek:

3M 5200 seems to be the adhesive/sealant of choice on these forums. Should work nicely for that repair :D ;) It will provide a strong bond AND allow some flexibility in the joint if needed.

zorak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ya know...I was going to make a joke about using JB weld on that but i got to thinking.I personally know people who would not only think i was being serious but would try it.Nothing like some redneck engineering.:).

Wingedwheel

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Moodyblue, I'm surprised at your poor choice of adhesives. PL Premium is the right choice for that repair!:D

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

LOL! gorilla glue works wonders lol... Its been a long time since ive seen one that bad !

sschefer

Rear Admiral

Chinewalker, hang on to the small piece and start collecting them. I got a bunch of em and had them cut and turned and I'm building a off engine electrical system tester. Haven't got it all together yet but when I do it will sure make life easier.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I hadn't even thought of using 5200! I like it!

JB Weld is too much work - all that mixing and making sure you've got equal parts of A & B, etc.

I will hang on to the crank, if for no other reason than it looks cool. I'll put it away with the scuffed pistons and holed blocks as demonstration pieces next time I teach a class...

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Thats something you dont see much of, a 50 crank to let go.