Skipping under load

fuzzy bowler

Recruit
I have an '88 force outboard 85hp motor that feels like it misfires under load. It idles fine but dies when I put it into gear unless I give it a little gas to get it going. From a slow start I will put a load on it and it doesn't just get up and go smoothly? Any idea what this is? Once it planes out under that load it runs smooth. I can also let off and from a medium speed I can put a load on it and it will be fine. It only does it from a slow start under load. I have changed the plugs and ran some sea-fom through it but still does the same. Any suggestions?? Appreciate it.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Skipping under load

Do a compression/spark test.Then check the fuel system for water.J

Lwapo

Seaman

Is the idle set too low? I read on here that idle RPM's should be set IN gear. So if you set the RPM's in neutral, then when you put it into gear... it'll die.

Perhaps you can bump up the idle a hair and take care of your problem?

fuzzy bowler

Recruit

Ok after a couple days of well needed rain I finally got to do my compression and spark tests. They were both fine. I was adjusting the idle speed screw to make it idle a little faster since it would die when put into gear. When I was setting it I happened to notice that one of the fuel lines from the filter to the carbs was leaking gas. I am not sure how long it has been like this but it was a pretty steady drip from the hose. I am going to put a new hose on tomorrow.

1. Would this be why it misfires (what feels like a misfire) when put under load??

2. Is it not getting enough fuel to the carbs from it leaking??

3. Would the fumes from the gas it was leaking mess with the carbs since its not a good "fresh air"??

erikpn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok after a couple days of well needed rain I finally got to do my compression and spark tests. They were both fine. I was adjusting the idle speed screw to make it idle a little faster since it would die when put into gear. When I was setting it I happened to notice that one of the fuel lines from the filter to the carbs was leaking gas. I am not sure how long it has been like this but it was a pretty steady drip from the hose. I am going to put a new hose on tomorrow.

1. Would this be why it misfires (what feels like a misfire) when put under load??

2. Is it not getting enough fuel to the carbs from it leaking??

3. Would the fumes from the gas it was leaking mess with the carbs since its not a good "fresh air"??

A fuel delivery problem would cause surging, yes.

fuzzy bowler

Recruit

I took the boat to the lake to try and see if that new hose was the problem and it wouldn't start. I tried so much that it finally drained the battery so I had to bring it back home to charge the battery. Any reason why it wouldn't start??

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Are you sure you adjusted the idle adjustment or did you adjust the mixture adjustment. If the mixture was adjusted incorrectly that could be causing the motor to run too rich or lean. Try to undo everything you did prior to fixing the leak. Also if you have a lanyard make sure it is plugged in

fuzzy bowler

Recruit

Yea I am sure that I adjusted the idle speed screw cause I haven't messed with the carbs because my carbs don't look anything like what shows in the manual so I don't want to mess them up. I only changed out the rotted out fuel hose that was dripping gas. I thought the same thing with the lanyard after the first couple times of trying to start it. I checked it and made sure it was hooked up good. I guess I can try again tomorrow with a freshly charged battery and see what happens. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.