First Boat!

Gerge

Recruit
Well I am the proud owner of my first boat. it's an 05 Lagoon Tournament edition fishing boat. Just swapped out the bilge pump and I am trying to replace the steering cable now. I got the cable out of the helm, but I can't figure out how to get the rod end out of the motor. I have seen where some here have had to remove the engine to accomplish this, but I'd rather avoid that if I could. Any advice?

It's a 2005 50 HP two stroke Johnson, with a M66 13' telefex cable.

Thanks all in advance

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 0

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: First Boat!

Congrats on the new boat! I can't help you with the cable connection but someone on this site can I'm sure. Good luck and Happy Boating!:)

Gerge

Recruit

Thank you!

Also I know enough to know that I need to know more about proper boat operation...it's been a few years since i was on the water. Can anyone reccomend a good boating instruction course in the Orlando, FL area, I want to make sure I am following the rules of the road (?)

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

If the steering cable is loose within the steering tube of the engine, I would assume that the rigid portion of the steering cable is hitting the boat, bringing you to a screeching halt. If so, you have no choice but to have the engine on a hoist or block and tackle (something) so that you can unbolt it from the boat in order to swing it slightly out of the way. Same would hold true for installing the new cable.

If you've encountered some different problem is removing the cable, describe it in detail.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

When I re-powered my boat this spring I couldn't get the steering cable out of the old motor(tried for two hours) until after I had it on the cherry picker. If at all possible pull the motor. It saves alot of time and frustration.

You may want to contact the Coast Guard for the boating course. They probably have a guide on all the rules and regs too.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

For proper and safe operation, buy the latest edition of Chapman's. It's the boating bible.

Chapman Piloting : Seamanship & Small Boat Handling (63rd)

Gerge

Recruit

Thanks for the responses. I will pick up that book, I always enjoy a good read;

The rod end of the cable is not stuck, just can't pull it out due to lack of clearance......

Wonder how heavy a 50 hp johnson two stroke is? I might decide to be a human cherry picker!

jonesg

Admiral

Remove the platform first and use an engine hoist, I got one from craigslist for $125 after paying $37 to rent for one day.
Check to see if the engine has hoisting loops on the block.
Or just have a shop do it for you.

Gerge

Recruit

I have a pretty good block and tackle set and a lobolly pine with a convenient branch, so I may just do it redneck style. It would be much easier to hire someone, but I wouldn't learn anything that way. My brother builds and operates dragbikes, and I am pretty decent at figuring stuff out, so this will be a backyard job!

I did find a local marine mechanic who makes house calls, I will have him on standby. I will be on the water this weekencome heck or well high water.

How about "The Penny Trader" for a boat name?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Congrats on the new boat.

I would reccomend you get yourself a factory OEM Service Manual. Trust me, it will pay for itself in gold if you plan on maintaining the boat yourself, as I assume you will be doing. Its great fun, and better than cleaning the house with the wife ;) Lots of knowledge on here if you need it as well.

Just out of curiousity, why are you replacing the cable in the first place? The tree should work fine for holding the weight. That motor weighs in just over 200 lbs dry.

jonesg

Admiral

If the platform has to come off for access, be sure to bed the bolts when they go back with 3M 4200 marine sealant .

Gerge

Recruit

Thanks for the tip on the sealant, I was just looking for that. :)

I am replacing the cable as the steering is very stiff and gets "hung up" when you stop turning one way and try to go back the other way.

I unhooked the rod end from the motor and it turns easy, so its not the motor mount.

The rod seems to slide side to side pretty well in it's housing, so it's not stuck there. Also had a good amount of pretty clean ube on it.

I unhooked the cable from the steering box and box feels good.

So in short I kept checking things until I found what I thought the most likely culprit to be.

Of course I have never done this before so I could be all flawed! I have been known to be flawed on occasion.

:eek: