Link and Sync procedure for a 1963 Johnson 28HP Super Sea Horse Model RXL-11a?

jzierk

Recruit
Can someone out there please post the link and sync procedure for my 28HP Johnson Super Sea Horse? I know the standard answer is "Get the manual" and I do plan on purchasing one as soon as I can afford it. Thanks in advance!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Link and Sync procedure for a 1963 Johnson 28HP Super Sea Horse Model RXL-11a?

(Synchronization Of Older 2 Cyl Engines)
(Such As The 28, 33, 40hp Etc models )

On the linkage that runs from the armature plate (the plate the coils & points set on) to the carburetor throttle roller, loosen the set screw on the brass collar that you see there and temporarily move it away from the armature plate/vertical throttle arm clevis (clevis is that thing the linkage rod slides through). We'll refer to that vertical throttle arm/armature plate clevis simply as the "clevis" from this point on.

Look at the cam that's attached to the front of the armature plate.... the cam that slides up against the carburetor throttle roller. You'll notice that there's a scribe mark on it. Also notice that at the top portion of the intake manifold there is a raised portion, that top portion forming a point. The carburetor roller should contact the cam and just start to open the throttle butterfly when the scribe mark is dead center with that point.

With the engine in gear (not running of course) have the armature plate advanced all the way (by hand) so that it is up against its stop. Now adjust the brass collar (set screw) on that associated linkage rod so that it is up against the clevis. It should be adjusted so that there is either no play, or just a hairs play between the collar and the clevis.

At this point, the armature plate movement is not advancing the throttle butterfly via the rod movement, but further movement of the throttle control, although the armature plate cannot move any farther, causes the tension spring at the armature plate to allow the vertical throttle arm to move farther which now advances the carburetor throttle butterfly via the rod.

If all else with your engine is as it should be, that should do it.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay auction at:

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Link and Sync procedure for a 1963 Johnson 28HP Super Sea Horse Model RXL-11a?

(Synchronization Of Older 2 Cyl Engines)
(Such As The 28, 33, 40hp Etc models )

Look at the cam that's attached to the front of the armature plate.... the cam that slides up against the carburetor throttle roller. You'll notice that there's a scribe mark on it. The carburetor roller should contact the cam and just start to open the throttle butterfly when that scribe mark is dead with the roller.

http://shop.ebay.com/Joe_OMC32/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

Unfortunatly, that part is incorrect. Look to the left of the roller and you will see an upward-pointing projection on the intake manifold--the "pointer". The roller should just make contact with the cam and start to open the butterfly when the scribe mark is aligned with the pointer--not the roller.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

F_R..... That setup which conflicts with some other hp models had escaped me. I've since corrected that error here and in my database.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I know, it is easy to confuse. With everything else, it is alignment with the roller. Always an exception, right?

jasper60103

Commander

Can someone out there please post the link and sync procedure for my 28HP Johnson Super Sea Horse? I know the standard answer is "Get the manual" and I do plan on purchasing one as soon as I can afford it. Thanks in advance!

I have the manual and will send you a copy. PM me your email address.