Evinrude 9.9 HP Outboard Ignition Problem

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 1996 Evinrude 9.9 HP 2 cycle, 2 cylinder outboard which has a weak or no spark at the spark plugs.

From what I can see on the engine and some parts lists it appears it has a "coil" in addition to the magneto spark energy from the flywheel (assumption, I have not pulled the rope-starter/cowling). I think this is what is in the rectangular housing that has the two high voltage spark plug wires coming out of it. The other wires are typical looking 18 gauge or smaller wire... and I assume this bring the relatively low voltage magneto current to the coil where the voltage is stepped up to spark levels. This may be the faulty unit. But, I'd like to have some idea of what the coil is... i.e., should I read a low resistance path from the spark plug wire back to ground? That is "see" that the coil is not open. It would be nice to have some description on how this ignition works a detailed schematic even better.

This is my first post here. I did a quick search and didn't spot any past posts, I could have over looked as some thread lists are very long. :)

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Evinrude 9.9 HP Outboard Ignition Problem

You need to get the OEM manual and do some reading. The manual will have a troubleshooting section that will help you repair your engine, it will have all the information that you will need.

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, do you have any links to "free" OEM information on the engine? I have downloaded a considerable amount of shop-level information on the subject engine, but none of them show details on the ignition system. Not even a "picture" of the components... well lots on carburetor, power head, lower unit, etc. but little to nothing on the ignition.:(

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are the Evinrude manuals offered on this web site complete with ignition information - for the 9.9 HP ?

I went out in the rain and checked again more carefully for a spark. I turns out the lower has spark the upper does not. This proves the test method I'm using will produce a spark if one is there. One problem I had is the spark plug boot is really deep, had to push down hard to get in on far enough to get a spark. :cool:

AlTn

Commander

shop2.evinrude.com will have your diagrams...you'll need model no. as well as year...air gap spark checker set at 7/16" will check spark quality...innumerable posts on here concerning swapping known good coil to thought bad one to verify if coil problem is issue..testing with a dva adapted dvm is also covered at length if you'll spend the time searching

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I found a great physical diagram and parts list for the ignition system on the web site recommended, but no schematic or trouble shooting information.

I can see from the physical layout this "ain't no" wimp system and it includes a "Power Pack" in addition to the "ignition coil"... plus a couple of other items with functions unknown to me. :confused:

I'll spend more time searching the web site - hope I can guess some good search strings.:D

AlTn

Commander

c/o F_R's s/n read his past posts...it seems like within the past year he gave a detailed and eloquent explanation of the workings of the cdi ignitions

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks, I did find some help with the resistance to look for when checking the coils.

I don't know what: "c/o F_R's s/n" means. .. guess that is why I am a "Cadet" (was an AE2 when on active duty and worked up to a AEC before getting out of the Navy Air Reserves, year ago).

AlTn

Commander

jerry...seems like rank comes with postings...c/o = click on...s/n = screen name...find a post by F_R...c/o his name...you'll see a past posts option...start reading and looking...he,ezeke, and many others are true educators on outboards..dhadley,rodbolt, the list goes on

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Right, I got the rank/rate idea, it is a common practice to establish some form of ranking for posting. On the Hearth Forum I am a "Master of Fires" and started out being something like "fire starter". My navy experience/rate was real.

Thanks for the abbreviation definitions... I don't do "texting" and there is a lot of abbreviation conventions there too that I don't understand either.