Mercruiser stalling in reverse

mattymc

Recruit
Hi, I am Matt and new to boating and new to this forum. I am also having a similar problem. My 5.0 merc is stalling if I shift slowly, mostly into reverse. It restarts if I pump the throttle a few times. The worst part is it stalls mostly when I am attempting to dock the boat. Any advice in simple terminology would be great.

Thanks,

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser stalling in reverse

your throttle/shift cable is out of adjustment.
Get the manual for you engine and it will tell you how to adjust it properly.

There is a shift interrupter switch on the starboard side exhaust riser shifting "cluster"

It drops rpm's down momentarily when you are shifting into gear.

This procedure should be done in the water as you will need some resistance on the prop in order to adjust correctly

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

It drops rpm's down momentarily when you are shifting into gear.

The shift interrupt actually is designed to work only when shifting OUT of gear - not into gear.

I agree that it is your shift cable causing you problems. It may simply need adjustment - OR - replacement.

One more thing - you should never shift slowly into gear. Always a good firm, quick shift. "Easing" into gear simply grinds down the dog clutch.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant

Hi Matt. Welcome. Sounds like the lower shift cable needs replaced. Read up on here on this site alot of great info. After doing some reserch get back with us with details of your boat.

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes...thank you for the correction

mattymc

Recruit

Thanks for your assistance. I will let you know how I make out. I truely believe it is mostly how I am shifting into reverse, but I do not know enough about it.

Thanks again, and I look forward to more discussions as I will most likely need more help.

Great site

dingdongs

Chief Petty Officer

shifting is meant to be swift without throttling.try different methods out at sea.otherwise the shift interrupt is earthing out for too long.