System Check Question

RendezvousMAN

Seaman Apprentice
I just picked up a 2000 evinrude ficht and it isnt coming with anything but the motor itself. I cant find a used wiring harrness anywhere and ended up buying a new one for $150. I have a oil tank on the way and a new set of controlls. The only thing I have yet to buy is the system check gauge that has the four warning lights on it. My question is how important is it to have that gauge? Will I be able to get the motor up and running just fine without it or will it trip a alarm. Anything that you guys might think I am leaving out just let me know. Thanks for the Help

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: System Check Question

I wouldn't want to run the motor w/o the System Check gauge, but if you got the motor free, maybe it's OK.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If it was my mtr I'd get the gauge. You can also get a gauge/tach set up. Also don't forget to get the warning horn. They both tell you a lot of what's going on with your mtr.

RendezvousMAN

Seaman Apprentice

I plan on buying the gauge. I was just wondering if I could get her up and running while I wait for it to get shipped. Also, am I going to need a fuel pump? My other motors arent fuel injected but this one is. The current set up is the original metal tank with the standard fuel line and primer ball. I sure hope that is going to cut it.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The fuel pumps are all on the mtr. You have a lift pump to bring fuel into the mtr from your fuel source and a high pressure pump on the mtr for your injectors. As long as you have a primer bulb and fuel source you should be OK.

RendezvousMAN

Seaman Apprentice

Thats awesome news. I wasnt sure if I was going to have to add a return line. Do you think the motor will start and run without the gauge? I just have a feeling the computer will be looking for it. Other than that I think I should be good to go. Lets just hope the boat floats and the motor doesnt rip off the back of the boat.

d.boat

Chief Petty Officer

Why wouldn't you just order the gauge and spend a couple of bucks to get it expressed if you think that's a problem. I doubt if it will take more than 3 days US mail anyway.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The only return line you should have to add is the one going to the oil tank. By the way, do you have an OEM service manual ? If not you should get one ASAP.