Volvo Penta 4.3 L carburetor problem, 2008 Regal

darkknight

Recruit
Hey,
I have a 2008 Regal 1900 with 4.3 L Volvo Penta GL engine/outdrive. At 99 hours and two years and two months, boat won't run after it warms up, or is really tough to start. Dealer said Volvo recommends replacing Holley carburetor with Demon. Of course they want $900 for the carb.
Anyone else having this issue? Any thoughts about how to resolve? Sure seems like it must be a lemon carb if they want to replace and not rebuild or repair it. I am really hot!!

darkknight

gxl185

Cadet
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3 L carburetor problem, 2008 Regal

Sorry to hear about your problem. Volvo Penta had a recall a couple of years ago on the Holley carbs for this engine. Just google Volvo Penta Holley carb recall, and you can find the info. My 07 Glastron was one of them. My dealer checked the date code and serial number of the carb and said I was good. The Holleys were having premature corrosion which could cause leaks. I would imagine if corrosion occured in the right area of the carb, it could cause runability problems. Some dealers, auto and boat, are better at replacing parts, than rebuilding or repairing. It's just quicker for them. If you are mechanically inclined, Holley carbs are fairly simple to rebuild yourself. Jegs.com has marine rebuild kits listed for 30-40 dollars.

Sorry if I was to long winded.