Prop/Trim Tab Report on SD 2100 (217) With Yamaha F150

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class
Since the hull designs on these boats are so familiar, I thought I'd share some results that I got changing props and adding trim tabs to my boat (SD 2100 which is identical to the older 217 model) with the Yamaha F150 OB.

First off, I'd say that Hurricane and Yamaha have done a great job matching the best overall prop (Yamaha Reliance 17p 3 blade SS prop) with this boat/motor. The reasons that I was looking for a prop change was twofold: First I wanted to see if I could get the boat to plane at a lower speed that would make it easier to pull my kids on their wakeboards, and second because I managed to damage my original prop on a sandbar, and wanted a spare prop to keep on hand.

Thanks to Bear 69Cuda and NelsonQ for recommending the Smart Tab system instead of a prop change as a first step in helping me get the boat on plane faster. Smart Tabs are not like other trim tab systems, in that they are fully automatic. You don't have to fool around with hydraulic or electric controls and you don't have to worry about constantly adjusting them every time you change your speed or motor trim. They are also fairly cheap and easy to install. ;) Once you mount and adjust them the first time, you can pretty much forget about them. I got the Protroller 1290 system for my boat with the 60 pound actuators http://www.nauticusinc.com/smart_tabs.htm, as recommended by Bear 69Cuda. Results with the Smart Tabs were impressive. The boat planned quicker, and would stay on plane around 3-4 mph less than without them. There was also significantly less bow rise at all speeds. The boat also runs more stable in the chop, which was an added benefit that I had not expected.

I was very pleased with the Smart Tabs and had decided to just go with a cheap aluminum prop for a backup, when I came across a very good deal on a PowerTech 4 blade SS 15p SkiMax prop http://www.ptprop.com/component/pag...acturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,46/. The deal was too good to pass up, so I went ahead and got the PowerTech prop. I've now tested the 4 blade PowerTech and the original Yamaha props with and without the Smart Tabs engaged and my results are posted below. I hope this information helps other Hurricane owners with similar questions:

Original Setup: (Yamaha Reliance SS 17p Prop without Trim Tabs)
Max RPMs: 5800
Max Speed: 40.5 mph
Minimum Planning Speed: 19-20 mph
Holeshot: Average

Original Setup with Smart Tabs Engaged:
Max RPMs: 5700
Max Speed: 39 mph
Minimum Planning Speed: 15-16 mph
Holeshot: Above Average

4 Blade PowerTech SkiMax (MQS4) Prop without Trim Tabs:
Max RPMs: 5600
Max Speed: 37.5 mph
Minimum Planning Speed: 16-17 mph
Holeshot: Excellent

4 Blade PowerTech SkiMax (MQS4) Prop with Smart Tabs Engaged:
Max RPMs: 5600
Max Speed: 36 mph
Minimum Planning Speed: 14-15 mph
Holeshot: Excellent

NOTE: Right now I'm not quite reaching my max speed with the Smart Tabs engaged, which means that I probably have them set a little too "tight". I expect to see a little improvement in my top speed once I have the Smart Tabs dialed in correctly.

bear_69cuda

Commander
Re: Prop/Trim Tab Report on SD 2100 (217) With Yamaha F150

Great information boss!

Smart tabs are the best bang for the buck hands down!

I've been thinking about a 4 blade for my F150. Where did you find it?

I'm thinking a better holeshot with heavy loads would be better than top speed. Anything above 35 mph on water seems fast to me... Did you get the stainless 4 blade? The link you provided show aluminum.

Again, thanks for the great data!

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Bear,

Thanks for recommending the Smart Tabs. I think they would improve the performance on any boat. I would really like to see what they would do on a 2200/2400 model. I nearly bought one of those, but just had too much bow rise.

Anyhow as to the prop. I had contacted PowerTech and filled out their online prop worksheet, and a very knowledgable guy named Marcus Clements got back to me and recommended their Ski Max stainless steel prop in a 15 pitch (the model number is CLY200MQS4R15). PowerTech has some pretty high tech prop designs, and you will find nothing but good reviews on their props. Only problem for me was that the prop was over $500 directly from PowerTech.........way above my budget for a prop. Anyhow, I kept prop shopping hoping to find an aluminum prop, when I came across a guy selling a new PowerTech prop on craigslist. Guy had bought the prop, put it on a shelf, sold the boat, and then found the prop. Anyhow, I got it for $200 NIB..........got lucky this time.

Before I found my deal, this place online had about the best prices I could find for PowerTech props: http://www.getaprop.com/content-product_info/product_id-7544/power_tech_ski_max_4_propeller.html. I don't know why the prop looks black in the photo, it is stainless steel. The one I got has a satin finish, but they told me you could get it with a polished finish for extra $.

I wanted to also mention the the prop came with the Cushion Lock hub system. This really reduced the "clunk" that you sometimes get when shifting into gear, and is supposed to protect the lower unit if you hit something.

I've been really impressed with the PowerTech 4 blade prop. I suspect that my midrange cruising is more efficient with this prop, but I don't have the command link yet, so don't know for sure. I also notice much less prop ventilation in the turns, and I don't have to do as much downtrim in turns. I don't mind the 2 mph loss in top speed. My wife will never let me run at WOT for more than a minute anyhow......blows her hair, scares her, makes her eyes water, engine will blow up, can't hear herself talk, can't hear the radio, shes going to fall off, bug blew in her mouth.........much easier, and quieter to run at 20-25 mph. :rolleyes:

bear_69cuda

Commander

Boss,

When you ran PowerTech prop @ 5600 were you fully trimmed out on the F150?

This is a 15"P prop correct? And 14.25 diameter?

I'm curious if a 13"P would gain 400 RPM or maybe the tach is off, and the 15"P is perfect? I'm looking at a bunch of 4 blade props and want to be sure before I drop $3-400 bones...

Stiletto Bay-Pro II and III
Solas HR Titan 4
Turbo Ultima 4
and PowerTech SkiMax (MQS4)

Ernest T

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea, I was fully trimmed at 5600 rpm and it is a 15p/14.25d prop. I could have probably dropped to a 14 pitch PowerTech and gotten my rpms closer to max, but the guy at PowerTech didn't recommend it (I'm glad I didn't go with the 16 pitch, which was his other possible choice), and I'm not even sure they make the MSQ prop in a 14 pitch.

I think my tach is pretty close to accurate now. I've got the YDS diagnostic software on order (actually its been backordered for several months), and I'll know for sure when I get it.

One thing I learned when prop shopping is that it is impossible to compare props between different manufacturers. There might be hundreds of rpms difference between exactly the same pitch/diameter props between different manufacturers. The PowerTech props for example have a cupped blade design that makes their props act like they are pitched higher. For example, a PowerTech 15 pitch prop might give you the same rpms as a 16 pitch prop from another manufacturer.

The best bet is to be sure that an exchange is possible if you don't like the results you get with the prop. PowerTech has a policy that they will exchange the prop for like $45 (this may not be exact, cause I can't remember the exact price).

There were actually some local places that offered to let me try a prop and bring it back for a full refund if I didn't like it as long as it was in perfect shape.

Good luck prop shopping! :cool: