hydorfoils

johnnycrab

Cadet
I've seen some hydrofoils look like whale tails and some I've seen are just a square piece of alum. do they pretty much work the same way? thanks

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: hydorfoils

Well................... some people have luck with them but most do not. It all depends on the boat and the reason for mounting one.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

We have 3 boats in the family with them on and they all work fantastic. All ours are DoelFins. Once we put them on we never took them off.

Trailer Boats Magazine did a test of all of the major ones some time ago and they DON'T all work the same. There are differences in boat handleability, top speed and time to plane. Generally, the ones that are aerodynamically designed work best.

I personally never saw an aluminum flat plate in use, so I can't comment on them. Are you sure its a hydrfoil and not a trolling plate?

ozarkt165

Seaman

Bought a stingray series II hydrofoil this spring. Boat would not come out of water if i had an extra 250 lbs in back w me. Jumps right up and goes now. Top speed w family went from 26mph, to 32mph. Top speed solo stayed at 34mph. I LIKE mine.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I actually made mine but it is the flat style aluminum and it works really well on my boat the way I use it.

You can put the same foil on 3 different boats and get 3 different responses, all hulls and set ups are different.

If your boat planes quickly and handles well you don't need one if it doesn't it is worth a try or go with tabs, they attach to the hull and vary the lift to speed, one is old tech(foil)and one is new tech but both do basiclly the same thing.