trolling motor switch question

Drivesideways

Recruit
First off I have a 1993 challenger "Radical One" Bassboat. 20ft. It has an onboard charging system. The boat has a switch on bow that says 12v charge,12/24v run. I stepped on it and i broke it and I need to replace it. Is this a Challenger part, a Minn Kota part, or a part from the battery charger co.? There is no manufacturer info on the switch.

My trolling motor is only getting 12 volts and its a 24v motor.I have checked the obvious(battery connections and voltage, the wires.) There's a box that the main feed wires go to but I don't know anything about it to test it. There's 4 wires going in and alot coming out. Does anyone know which wire(s) should have 24 volts? Or explain how to diagnose?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: trolling motor switch question

If all that is broken is the switch the replacement is as close as a Radio Shack store. These are generally heavy duty six terminal switches. While the switch may not look exactly like the one you have, the electricity doesn't care. DO NOT DISCONNECT the wires from the old one until you mark them -- or else replace the wires one at a time by disconnecting one wire from the bad switch and connecting it to the same terminal on the new one. If the old switch has screw terminals, you need screw terminals on the new one. If spade terminals you need spade terminals on the new one.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: trolling motor switch question

Certainly -- but why spend over $40 for the receptacle when you also need the matching plug. Unless I missed something, apparently all he needs is a replacement switch for less than five bucks. These old 12/24 systems had the switch to enable breaking the 24 volt series connection at the bow so the batteries could be charged with a 12 volt charger through the troller socket.