engine bogs down

mike tobin

Recruit
I have a 1998 4.3 6cyl mercruiser. Engine starts and idles fine. When I throttle at low speed everything is good (10 to 12 mph). When I accelerate above that the engine runs fine for about 1 minute then it bogs down. The engine never stalls. Almost like i am running out of gas.(tank is full, new gas).
Any help would be appreciated.

Thx
Mike T

Jessfly1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: engine bogs down

Sounds fuel related. First thought is fuel filter.

mike tobin

Recruit

carbed. I just read the Adult Section and there is some real helpful info.I should have read that before I posted but this is my first time. I believe the problem is fuel related. I will follow the teting procedures and see where that takes me.

longstand

Petty Officer 1st Class

carbed. I just read the Adult Section and there is some real helpful info.I should have read that before I posted but this is my first time. I believe the problem is fuel related. I will follow the teting procedures and see where that takes me.

Mike.. i had your kind of problem with both of my Engines and my jetboat and specially my jetboat..

You know how to check your Dwell? Do you know how to set Timing? How to adjust carburator?

if so great..

Check Dwell first with your factory setting and it should around your engine.
then set your timing... then set your carburetor.. i belive you are running rich.