1996 130hp johnson hard to shift

clint ourso

Recruit
1996 130hp johnson on a center console bay boat it's hard to shift. I removed the shift cable and the throttle cable and tried shifting it by hand. I can do it but it is difficult. is it suppose to be easy. I think I may have trouble in the lower unit. can anyone help me -- how to tell for sure and how much of a job is this to repair - thanks clint

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1996 130hp johnson hard to shift

How about some more info such as background.
Is the engine new to you?
or is this a recent development?
have you ever changed the gear oil?
Is there water in the oil?
Do you have the shop manual ( not seloc).

3car

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 130hp johnson hard to shift

1996 130hp johnson on a center console bay boat it's hard to shift. I removed the shift cable and the throttle cable and tried shifting it by hand. I can do it but it is difficult. is it suppose to be easy. I think I may have trouble in the lower unit. can anyone help me -- how to tell for sure and how much of a job is this to repair - thanks clint

from what I've experienced, 90% of.the time this is due to worn lower engine mounts that are causing the shift shaft to bind. the mounts are located on each side of the lover unit just above the cavitation plate, and are held in by a plate with 4 bolts. if you look to the front of that, you may be able to see where the shift shaft is binding entering the housing.