1976 70 HP Johnson - Idles High after accelerating - Timer base sticks?

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1976 70 HP Johnson - Idles High after accelerating - Timer base sticks?

I've been with this motor for two seasons, I pretty much think I know it inside and out..... I have replaced a lot stuff, successfully may I add.

Before you mention it, I already have a repair manual from 1976

What happens is..... after accelerating in forward or reverse, obviously when you accelerate it advances all this timing, throttle cam, ......

When I come out of gear. she's idling pretty high. I usually have to take the cover off and push it all back about a 1/4 inch. then it idle right and I can put it into gear again with out worrying about blowing out lower unit.... or spilling my coffee... more importantly.

I have replaced everything but the actual cable back to the controls..... it seems loose....

Would the cable be a good place to start replacing... or should take off flywheel and see if its binding somewhere,,,, it all feels loose so I dont think its binding under the flywheel. I know I may have answered my own question but has anyone else delt with this problem.?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1976 70 HP Johnson - Idles High after accelerating - Timer base sticks?

Disconnect the throttle cable at the engine and move the linkage by hand and see if it binds, if not try adjusting the throttle cable. You might have to pull the flywheel to check it out if it binds with cable removed.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sticky timer bases are fairly common and happens because of gummy grease. HOWEVER, they stick when advancing the throttle, not when pulling it back. Your problem seems to be when pulling it back, so adjusting the plastic nut on the cable should fix it. If adjusting the nut doesn't fix it, and you have too much slack it is time for a new cable or getting rid of some un-necessary bends in the cable, or repair the control box if that is the problem.

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sticky timer bases are fairly common and happens because of gummy grease. HOWEVER, they stick when advancing the throttle, not when pulling it back. Your problem seems to be when pulling it back, so adjusting the plastic nut on the cable should fix it. If adjusting the nut doesn't fix it, and you have too much slack it is time for a new cable or getting rid of some un-necessary bends in the cable, or repair the control box if that is the problem.
Thats gotta be it, im gonna measure the cable and buy and anew. There does seem to be some slack in it.... it just doesnt pull back all the way. And adjusting it with the turn knob seems to throw the whole throttle off.... I think its time for a new cable.

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw these cables on ebay new for 16-20 bucks.... does that sound right.... if thats all it is.... I have been messing with this since I got the engine two seasons ago.... I would have put 20 bucks into it a long time ago to fix this problem

capnstabbin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That was it ,,, the throttle cable was not pulling the shift linkage all the way against the stop screw when I came out of gear after accelerating,,, The old cable was a Moores brand cable so I went to West Marine and bought a Teleflex brand cable and it seems it just had more to adjust or there was less slack in the line.
Went for a 20 minute cruise around the river and in and out of some "no wake zones" in the lagoons. Popped into neutral a bunch of times, then did reverse, approached the dock, no problems, didnt have to take the cover off at all, and didnt slam it into gear and give myself whiplash