Teens + Alcohol + Driving = Death

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Thrusday night a large group of teens had a party. A few of them were of age to buy the alcohol. After drinking all night, about 4 am two 19 year olds left along with a 22 year old with 4 passengers. The 19 year olds were on a motorcycle and the others were in a SUV. As kids do, they were playing games while driving under the influence.

The motorcycle came to a stop and the SUV did not stop. The SUV crashed into the rear of the motorcycle. The driver of the motorcycle was badly injured. His passenger was laying in the road unconcious. So what does the teens do that was in the SUV? THEY PICKED UP THEIR BADLY INJURED FRIEND THAT WAS IN THE ROAD AND PUT HIM IN THE DITCH ! Then they left the scene of the accident leaving the operator of the motorcycle at the scene and his buddy in the ditch. The 22 year old driving the SUV left the scene and went home.

The police came along with an ambulance. The medics had to get the injured guy out of the ditch. They took him to the local hospital and called Lifeflight to take him to Cleveland. After the helicopter took off, they circled and returned as the 19 year old had expired. All his internal organs had been destroyed. The operator of the motorcycle is in serious but stable condition. The police found the driver of the SUV at his parents house. He is now incarcerated at the Sheriffs Department pending involentary manslaughter charges with no bail set. He says he can't remember who his passengers were, but he remembers how much he drank, and hitting a motorcycle.

There is more to this story to come I'm sure. The scuttlebutt in the township is that one of the teens parents allowed them to drink at the party. I sure hate to be them if this is true. This really upset my wife as she works in the ER. She knows the parents of the dead teen. Apparently they did not know their son was going to be at a party that allowed drinking.

Second scary situation. My wife comes home from work today. This morning she had to do a quick move to get out of the way of a driver that was coming at her in her lane. As she swerved out of the way, it got the attention of a police car sitting in front of a coffee shop. There was also another police car that saw what happened. My wife said it shook her up, but she drove onto work. The one officer knew her and followed her to the hospital to make sure she was ok. She told him that she was shaken but ok, and he then told her that they got the guy that almost hit her head on. Yep,,,,,,,,,,,HE WAS DRUNK!

In 5 more days, I will be sober for a year. What I'm realizing, Was Drinking That Important" My answer is "NO", its not worth hurting or killing someone. I'm just thankful that it never happened to me when I did drink and drive. Stuff like that, that has happened to people is enough to keep this guy sober.........Sorry for being long winded, just thought I would pass this on........SS

jonesg

Admiral
Re: Teens + Alcohol + Driving = Death

Listened to an oldtimer in an AA meeting tell me how he drank in the military and kept drinking and how it got worse over the years,
then he hit a kid on a bike...

and he still kept drinking.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

There but through the grace of God go I...
Too many times I couldn't remember how I drove home...lost a close friend myself to a Drunk driver, and it opened my eyes enough to keep my drinking{what little I do anymore} at home....senseless acts that ruin other peoples lives, not just the boozer's :(

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Listened to an oldtimer in an AA meeting tell me how he drank in the military and kept drinking and how it got worse over the years,
then he hit a kid on a bike...

and he still kept drinking.

Yes the military was a good place to learn to drink as well as other stupid things.
Well I still do stupid things, but that does not include drinking and driving.
(mind ya, I did go to the hospital after a good ridem lawn mower race once,
I blamed my injury on a gardening accident, so that may be in both catagories :redface: )

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

The idiot (I DO mean idiot) that almost did a head on with my wife had a BAC of .38 ! He had 6 prior DUI's. Just makes me want to remove his hands so he can't do anything but breath air.

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

.38?????:eek::eek:Isnt that pretty close to being already embalmed???

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class

The idiot (I DO mean idiot) that almost did a head on with my wife had a BAC of .38 ! He had 6 prior DUI's. Just makes me want to remove his hands so he can't do anything but breath air.

Ya, there's no excuse for this. I think first offense penalties aren't to far off the mark. Second offense should be a year minimum in a SATE PENITENTIARY, not a city or county lock up, the big house, with all the other people that have no concern for anybody else but themselves. Third offense and you disappear for 15-20 years and never drive again for the rest of your life.

PS94

Petty Officer 1st Class

How callous to actually lift the injured, and place him in the ditch....Even if he had been drinking, the 22yr old could have called the ambulance, and parked the truck.There would be no way to prove his intoxication level at the time of the incident, and possibly saved a life....But, I guess it shows society these days...."oh ****, how do I save my ***?!"
Reminds me of this.

http://articles.latimes.com/2002/mar/08/news/mn-31784

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Third offense and you disappear for 15-20 years and never drive again for the rest of your life.

^^^This. I have said for years, I don't think it should be in any way POSSIBLE to get a 4th DUI. Cuz after the third you have demonstrated that you are NOT going to learn your lesson. You should not ever be allowed to drive or register a vehicle again.

hostage

Lieutenant

If you are going to do something stupid (i.e. drinking), be smart about it (i.e. not drinking and driving).

I had a couple drinks last night and gave the keys to my g/f to drive us home. Never a good idea to risk it.

On the other hand a motorcycle isn't the safest means of transportation. What could have been a small finder bender and some pissed off parents turned into tragedy.

korygrandy

Senior Chief Petty Officer

SS_MAYFLOAT congrats on the sobriety. I am on 5 months of what I thought would never be possible. At 29 I struggled to quit drinking but deep down inside of me I found a way. I truly feel my life has much more worth without the booze.

I got a DUI 3 years ago (suprised it didnt come sooner) and quit driving drunk but I just couldn't quit drinking outright. Now that I have I am LOVING LIFE...and I bought a boat to celebrate my 1month. (I knew if I made it 1 month I could make it a lifetime).

Such a tragedy for everyone. I see a lot of bad things happen with my friends that could be avoided if they just didn't drink.

There but through the grace of God go I...
Too many times I couldn't remember how I drove home...lost a close friend myself to a Drunk driver, and it opened my eyes enough to keep my drinking{what little I do anymore} at home....senseless acts that ruin other peoples lives, not just the boozer's :(
I am glad you wised up as I did over 10 years ago. I realized that I had already used up more than my share of being lucky and the only thing that was going to happen would be bad. So I stopped drinking while driving the car or boat and kept it 100% at home for a short time and didnt enjoy it much so I stopped all together

Triton II

Commander

Whilst admitting I enjoy an occasional beer or a glass of good red every now and then, I don't drive afterwards. It is a tradegy that these needless deaths happened and the callous actions of the SUV driver and his "friends" makes it so much worse. We have very strict DUI rules in Australia but it doesn't stop the idiots. Even worse are the drug users who insist on driving - a crime that is becoming more common as the police become better and better at alcohol detection. Thoughts and best wishes to the poor kid's family.

TII