cooling problem

shaenjay09

Seaman Apprentice
hey guys. i put in a new thermostate and complete water pump kit on my 87 3.0l mercruiser i/o with alpha one cuse it over heated and wasnt sucking water. i replaced them and took it out 3 weekends in a row closely watchin the temp gauge and never got above 160 no matter what i did idled in gear full throttle everything. so i took it out today and when i idled the engine in gear it kept creeping up to almost 200. so i had to take it out of gear and it would go back down. when i gave it any kind of throttle it would go down. even a neutral in idle it was fine. just in gear idle. any thoughts what could cause that?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: cooling problem

Ayuh,.... Pull the hose comin' from the outdrive, at the T-Stat housing,+ test run it...
Is it flowing Good,..??
Next, reattach that 1,+ pull the 1 goin' to the manifold,+ repeat... Is it still flowin' Good,..??
If so, pull the riser,+ inspect the passages....

shaenjay09

Seaman Apprentice

yah its flowing good at those hoses. whats it take to pull the risers.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... A 9/16" wrench, 'n Fresh gaskets....

shaenjay09

Seaman Apprentice

and thats the square block the carb sits on right. sorry man im new to boats and can't really afford a shop visit everytime somethings wrong

franktrav

Seaman

the carb sets on top of the intake manifold. the risers sit on top of the exhaust manifolds.if you do a forum search on exhaust risers/gaskets im sure u will find some pics. that will help you