johnson 150 tilt trim died

overkill

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 1988 JOhnson 150 VRO 2 stroke. took it out yesterday and the tilt/trim worked fine when i left the dock. parked for a couple hours while i fished. when i went to tilt up the engine to use trolling motor to goto a new spot. as the engine started to trim up it sounded like it would if the batt was low, moving a little slow and getting slower.
my starting batt was dead when i went to go out so i put in one of my deep cycles to run the engine, but i double checked and it was still fully charged.
when pulling into the landing i started to trim it up again, it got slower and slower then stopped altogether.

now it wont move in any direction, both of the relays are clicking when i hit the appropret switch, but nothing at all from the trim motor.

anyone have an idea of where to start? i would have thought that if the trim motor failed that it would just STOP, not peter out like it was out of juice.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: johnson 150 tilt trim died

Trace the wires from the elecric PTT motor back to its connection and disconnect it. Run two small jumper wires direct from the battery to those two electric motor wires. If the electric motor runs, then obviously it is okay. If it does not, suspect a fail electric motor.

overkill

Seaman Apprentice

yup, motors dead. anyone know the part number for a new one or know where i can look it up?

overkill

Seaman Apprentice

NM, found part number,
found a few Prestolite replacment motors on ebay for $60, vs $150 for one from OMC....is Prestolite any good? is the OMC one $100 better?
the Prestolite one looks like it might have a plastic houseing...