novice

anthony2003

Cadet
been on boats all my life but just bought my first boat, 1997 SeaRay 185BR with 210HP 4.3L V6 Merc, had it out twice and seems to run really well, just a couple of questions. 1.) I cant tell if the bilge is working, seems like a lot of water comes out when I take off the drain plug, I can hear the bilge run but cant see it pumping water out anywher (maybey im just not looking in the right place). 2.) About half the time when I cut off the engine (by turning the key off) the moter continues to run for a few seconds what is that? am I doing something wrong? what should I do about it? 3.) had it out twice about 5 hours total, and it looks like I need to add drive oil already (may have been low to begin with) is that normal. 4.) What should be the correct running temp it seems to stay around 170 but that seemed a little higher than it was the first time I had it out. 5.) read about zinc parts on out drive mine seem to be pitted should I replace them? also on of flat peices on the upper assembly has a peice of metal broken off is this an issue. I know I asked a lot but Im new to this and I want to learn as much as possible any help or even general suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral
Re: novice

You better trace the bilge pump hose to see where it exits the boat.There is a chance that the pump is bad and you can still hear it run but it does not pump.Check all commections and see if there is an automatic switch.You can replace the pump with a self contained auto unit.If the motor is fwc the temp sounds ok,if it is raw water colled it should be around 140-150. Keep an eye on the oil level to see if you are burning or leaking.Only use straight weight oil,sae 30. dont use multigrade oil.Charlie

boaterntexas

Petty Officer 1st Class

You said your gear oil was getting low, how do you know, I don't know of any way to check the gear oil, did you mean engine oil?<br /> beening that you just bought the boat I would go ahead and do a few things. <br />1. change water impeller<br />2. change gear oil<br />3 change engine oil, filter<br />4. go ahead and get a good set of plugs<br />even if the guy you buaght it from told you that he had just done theese things, you never know for sure if they wehre do right, or if he is tellign the truth better safe than sorry<br />you mentioned that you motor continues to run after you cut it off. to prevent this, alow the engine to idle for a while before you cut it off, make sure you are using good gas, and make sure you idle is set around 750 rpms in the water in gear, should help..<br />on the bilge pump, I would defintly get that worked out, just incase on your next trip you forget the plug, or spring a leak. I know my pump will run and not pump water out, until there is a good amout of water in the bilge.<br /><br />hope this helps.<br /><br /> Thomas

anthony2003

Cadet

Thanks guys I really appreciate it, i bought it from a dealer so I did not deal with the owner, im gonna take it in to the shop and have them check everything out, What is FWC and how can I tell which one it is, and the oil i refered to is in a container on the top of the engine and it says drive oil and is at the fill line. Thanks again.

anthony2003

Cadet

Also the motor does not keep running when I let it idle for a second before cutting it off, it idles really well, and seems to sound and run well, starts up right away as well. Ive had it to 45mph with 3 people in the boat so im pretty happy so far Thanks

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

FWC means fresh water cooled which means that you have antifreeze cooling the motor .There would be a cannister in front of the motor which acts like a radiator in a car.Charlie

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Anthony the oil I was reffering to was the engine oil,I thought your post said your motor oil was low. Charlie

anthony2003

Cadet

Thanks Charlie, I will try to find out about the cooling system because so far the temperature thing is the only thing that really has me worried at all. The oil resoivior says drive oil on it and is located on the top from of the motor. Thanks again, you guys are great

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bilge: Fix the pump issue if you need to but figure out where that water is getting in. Aside from splashing/dripping passengers you shouldn't get any. Check the engine closely while running. Are there any leaks? With the boat out of the water check all of the bellows on the leg closely for tears. Poke at them with your finger and move the leg around to be sure. Leaks here can damage other stuff.<br />Zincs: Don't worry until they're 50% gone, just don't paint them<br />Temp: I think 170 is fine. I've got lots of hours on my Merc 470 FWC at that temp.<br />Drive oil: Figure that out. That reservoir will add oil as you need it but if oil is getting out, water is getting in and its way cheaper to change the seals now.

anthony2003

Cadet

Thanks airman, not sure what you mean by the bellows, but ill try to figure it out. <br /><br />Ive watched the engine run and can see no leaks or anything like that. When I say a lot of water, I mean it runs out steady for maybey 20 or 30 seconds im guessing its about 5 or so gallons only a guess. There is more the more people I have on the boat. Dont think the engine is FWC spoke with a service tech from my local marina yesterday and he said it should run about 160 or 170 he didnt think it was an issue. Im gonna put some oil in that res. and check the engine oil and try to check for leaks and the bilge before I take it out this weekend. I also ordered a service manual as the dealer didnt have any of the owners manuals. <br /><br />Thanks for you advice I really appreciate it and I will try to learn as much as possible so maybey I can add some value to these discussions.

Just Learning

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a 1997 Sea Ray 190BR and have experienced almost every situation you describe.<br /><br />*I too am using small amounts of lower unit lube and plan to get that fixed for sure. Started after I had it changed! I thought first time I had to add was maybe just settling in, working out air, etc., but just had out all day Sunday and probably used about 1 oz. and know it shouldn't use ANY. First thing I'll do is try to drain a little out of the lower unit and see if it has water in the lube. I'll bet it does. We'll see.<br /><br />*I also run around 170 all the time, mechanic said no prob. <br /><br />*I also was diesling (running on) that you describe, but adjusted timing a little and adjusted idle down to the 750 range and pretty much cured it as long as I idle just a bit before shutting down.<br /><br />*On leaks, check the shift cable boot. I have a small hole in mine (also on the fix list) and have heard from other Sea Ray owners with same problem more than once.<br /><br />Keep us posted on what you find out on these issues!!

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

If your ignition timing is right, your idle mixture is right and you use the right plugs, there should be no detonating after switch off.<br /><br />This is caused by something (spark plug tip) being so hot is glows and keeps on igniting the furel/air mix even after the spark stops.

airman

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bellows I'm talking about are the black rubber boots that you can see when you tilt the leg up. The large one protects your u-joints and gimbal bearing and the small one is for the shift cable. I think there's only two. Unless your pretty good with your hands don't change them yourself because its a real bear to get everything on right in there. Find it before your next ride though. I ended up going home on the kicker once when my gimbal bearing seized because of the water. Of course I was sinking at the time because the bellows kept leaking and I couldn't run the motor to keep the bilge pump going. Fortunately I had the kicker and a hand pump but I can easily envision things being worse. I checked the manual at work, a Bravo leg is allowed to use up to 2oz/week according to Merc. Don't forget that the level will rise and fall on its own as the drive heats and cools. (Check cold)

anthony2003

Cadet

Thanks airman, I went and got the oil and im gonna check it and put some in in the driveway before I take it anywhere. The service guy that sold me the oil was telling me not to worry about it unless I have to add it on a regular basis like every other time I take it out. I found those bellows and I couldnt see any holes or cracks they actually looked like they were new which suprised me, they may have been changed.<br /><br />I also talked with a guy I work with who owns a boat with the same motor and he was telling me the amount of water that I was talking about seemed pretty normal to him especially with a bunch of kids getting on and off the whole time. He was also saying that I could have 5 gallons in the bilge and never even have the bilge pump go off, so well see.<br /><br />Thanks, and I will keep you guys posted on anything I find out. Im waiting on the service manual for the motor so when I really start poking around in there im not doing it blind.

Just Learning

Seaman Apprentice

Hey airman, I used about 1-1.5 oz. on an 8 hr. run.<br />Think that is too much? I drained a bit out yesterday afternoon and doesn't look bad, maybe SLIGHTLY lighter in color than from the bottle, but didn't look like it had alot of water in it.<br /><br />Also, Novice, those holes in the bellows are not easy to spot. I actually found mine in the shift cable bellows by raising the bow, filling the bilge with water until I could see water coming out, then found the hole. Still can't see it, just feel it.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

I was losing just a bit of oil last season through a bad shift shaft seal (say that fast three times).<br /><br />Had me puzzled for awhile---no signs of water in drive, but after it sat out of the water for a few days, I could feel oil in the front of the drive just above where the lower attaches to the upper (in the area of the speedometer pitot tube on my drive, behind the zinc anode plate)---that's where the shift shaft sits and shifts.<br /><br />Replaced all seals this spring---no problem since.

anthony2003

Cadet

Well the bilge works, I put in the drain plug and filled the bilge with water (took quite awhile) and it pumped it out just fine. I guess I wasnt taking on as much as I thought, at least not enough for the bilge to pump any out. Filled that drive oil res. and checked for leaks, and couldnt find anything so well see how it does this weekend. Thanks for all your help and I will keep you guys posted. I also checked around where the lower unit connects to the upper for leaks or oil and it is dry as a bone.

anthony2003

Cadet

Sorry its been so long. But Ive got some answers. It turns out that I have a friend that works at a local marina, (didnt even know that he worked there) anyway, he thinks that my drive oil is burping from being changed, another friend who owns a boat said that everytime he changes the drive oil he has to fill it a little bit a couple of times because of air in the line. he told me to look for little air bubles in the res. they both told me that as long as there is no water in the oil and you dont find an actuall leak you should be all right.I had it out all weekend in lake Norris TN and it ran great and barely used any. He is going to pressure test it for me when I have it winterized. everything else is either taken care of or wasnt even an issue. The more I mess with it the more I learn thanks to everyone and I will post again after I have it winterized, or if something crazy happens between now and then probably end of Sept. Thanks again

Grouchybear35

Seaman Apprentice

Hey,<br /> When do you plan to winterize your boat this year? I am in the Knoxville area and plan to hold out as long as I can.