New Florida Boating Education Requirements

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
this is great!!!

Updated" Boating Safety Education Requirements
? Anyone born on or after January 1, 1988 who operates a vessel powered by 10 horsepower or more must pass an approved boater safety course and have in his/her possession photographic identification and a boating safety education identification card issued by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
? The following operators are exempt:
o A person licensed by the U. S. Coast Guard as a master of a vessel.
o A person operating on a private lake or pond.
o An operator who is accompanied onboard by a person who is least 18 years old and possesses the required Boating Safety Education Identification Card, provided that person is attendant to and responsible for the safe operation of the vessel.
o An operator who is accompanied onboard by a person who is exempt from the educational requirements, provided that person is attendant to and responsible for the safe operation of the vessel.
o A non-resident who has in his or her possession proof that he or she has completed a NASBLA-approved boater safety course or equivalency examination from another state.
o A person who is operating a vessel within 90 days after the purchase of that vessel, provided they have available for inspection aboard that vessel, a bill of sale meeting all the requirements as established in Chapter 328.46(1), Florida Statutes.

RobbyA

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: New Florida Boating Education Requirements

That is definitely a step in the right direction. I am not one for for government taking over things, but once you have been on the water you see the need for it. Maybe other states will follow that don't have these laws in place.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

this is great!!!

Updated" Boating Safety Education Requirements
? Anyone born on or after January 1, 1988 who operates a vessel powered by 10 horsepower or more must pass an approved boater safety course and have in his/her possession photographic identification and a boating safety education identification card issued by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
? The following operators are exempt:
o A person licensed by the U. S. Coast Guard as a master of a vessel.
o A person operating on a private lake or pond.
o An operator who is accompanied onboard by a person who is least 18 years old and possesses the required Boating Safety Education Identification Card, provided that person is attendant to and responsible for the safe operation of the vessel.
o An operator who is accompanied onboard by a person who is exempt from the educational requirements, provided that person is attendant to and responsible for the safe operation of the vessel.
o A non-resident who has in his or her possession proof that he or she has completed a NASBLA-approved boater safety course or equivalency examination from another state.
o A person who is operating a vessel within 90 days after the purchase of that vessel, provided they have available for inspection aboard that vessel, a bill of sale meeting all the requirements as established in Chapter 328.46(1), Florida Statutes.

Hey TD, in your opinion are these regs needed?? I've never been to Florida, but that seems kinda strict unless there are good reasons for it.

The highlighted part above is what concerns me. Up here we have no such operators regs, if we want to take the course we can, but we don't have to. If I understand that sentence correctly, I can't operate my boat in Florida water because I don't have that course certificate.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Whoa! I would have thought that Florida would have already had such regulations. They put in similar regs in Missouri a number of years ago.

jbjennings

Captain

I think it's absolutely horrible.
JBJ

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The highlighted part above is what concerns me. Up here we have no such operators regs, if we want to take the course we can, but we don't have to. If I understand that sentence correctly, I can't operate my boat in Florida water because I don't have that course certificate.

I think that would only apply, if you were born after 1/1/88.

What I find to be strange about the law, is the 90 day exemption. Its obviously targeted towards new boaters and it seems to me, that they are most in need of such a course. My guess, however, is that the boat sales lobby in Fl., is directly responsible for the exemption.

???

sasto

Captain

I think it is a great idea, even though I don't like gov. regulations. Anyone under 21 must have a certification, which can be taken online for a small charge after passing test. If there is anybody who can't pass this test, I would suggest studying the online book at boatcourse.com/Florida. You can never learn to much.

itsaboattime

I think that would only apply, if you were born after 1/1/88.

What I find to be strange about the law, is the 90 day exemption. Its obviously targeted towards new boaters and it seems to me, that they are most in need of such a course. My guess, however, is that the boat sales lobby in Fl., is directly responsible for the exemption.

???

O I C!! So since I am bordering on being in the old phart club, I don't have to worry. These regs only apply to ppl born after 1/1/88.

Occasionally I fall into Einsteins quote below............lol

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Same here. Our law was also for persons born after 1/1/88. but was changed to 1/1/84. Anyone who fell in the middle after the date was changed, was given until this year to comply.

We also have a law that makes it unlawful for anyone under the age of 16 to operate a jetski (PWC).

???

oops!

Supreme Mariner

i think thats great....

but one question....how hard is the test?

i really wish that a boaters licence was at least as difficult to get as a drivers licence.

here in BC Canada, the test is a total joke....an 8 year old could pass it.

tashasdaddy

applies to " Anyone born on or after January 1, 1988" personally, in Florida, i think you should have to have it before you can register a boat in your name.

you should see the idiots, at the boat ramps, and docks. they just DO NOT HAVE A CLUE!!!!!!!

i was testing a boat today, that did not work out, so i was
being towed in today, by my service boat. 2 massive wakeboard boats, came whizzing buy, throwing a tremendous wake. they did not care if they sank us or not. not a care in the world, 99% Daddy bought it, to get the kids out of his hair.

Yes, it is way overdue for Florida Boating.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

you should see the idiots, at the boat ramps, and docks. they just DO NOT HAVE A CLUE!!!!!!!

it would be my hope that in the future everywhere a boat license would be more like a competency card, you dont get the licence unless you can operate the thing proficiently.

i would guess this would cut half the boating deaths.

i saw some guy wizzing across 6 inch chop at 45 mph with his kid sitting on the bow light with their feet hanging over the bow, arms open wide doing the titanic thing.

i had to hide my eyes

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Virginia passed a similar law in 2007 that phases-in age groups......

Virginia Boating Safety Education Requirements
The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries is gradually phasing-in the mandatory boater education requirement that has been law since 2007. In 2010 all personal watercraft (PWC) operators 35 years and younger must meet the requirement. A new block of boaters will be added each year until July 1, 2016 when all boaters who are not exempt shall meet the requirement.
For Personal Watercraft:
July 1, 2009 - Personal watercraft operators 20 years of age or younger
July 1, 2010 - Personal watercraft operators 35 years old and younger
July 1, 2011 - Personal watercraft operators 50 years old or younger
July 1, 2012 - All personal watercraft operators, regardless of age
For Motorboats:
July 1, 2011 - Motorboat operators 20 years of age or younger
July 1, 2012 - Motorboat operators 30 years of age or younger
July 1, 2013 - Motorboat operators 40 years of age or younger
July 1, 2014 - Motorboat operators 45 years of age or younger
July 1, 2015 - Motorboat operators 50 years of age or younger
July 1, 2016 - All, motorboat operators, regardless of age

I attended the class along with our 12 yo grandson...we both passed with flying colors!!! He is sooo proud that he is now licensed to operate up to a 65' motor vessel.................yet he cannot operate a PWC until he is 14 !!!!
(bureaucracy at it's finest!!!)

itsaboattime

Unfortunately even if these people are licensed, it doesn't stop them from misbehaving on the water.

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

Think about the illegals that just throw their kids on a jetski. I hear thats a HUGE problem in FL

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Here in Ontario the exam is so easy that it is just a money maker for the authorities !!! Great idea but sad !!!!

tashasdaddy

"kids on a jetski" technically, they have to be 14 and have the certificate. 21 to be able to rent a ski.

i loved my Yamaha's, but they have become a total nuisance, in the past few years.

jbjennings

Captain

Unfortunately even if these people are licensed, it doesn't stop them from misbehaving on the water.

I agree. As much as I respect Tashasdaddy's wisdom, I don't think these types of laws do anything to slow down ignorant, thoughtless boaters who do whatever they want on the water, regardless of others. It just creates more hassle and costs more money for the guys that were going to do right to begin with. Sadly, I think he'll be getting pestered by just as many ne'er-do-wells 10 years from now as he is today. I'll bet the test is so easy a caveman could do it.
JMO,
JBJ

sasto

Captain

I am not the brightest person around here but I do have a Captains license and I took the test. Passed but still missed a few questions. I had the 14yr. old study and take the test and it was the best thing I did for him as a boater. Some may boat in lakes and small rivers but put them in an ocean inlet or the crouded intercoastal waterway and they may be lost. As a Captain I am required to update my requirements regulary. I would like to see every boater go back to square 1 and review boating regs occasionally. Just like riding my motorcycle, once I become to confident in my abilities something is giong to go wrong. Be safe. Go to http://boatcourse.com and give it a try.