130 hp johnson shifting problem

clint ourso

Recruit
I have an 130hp Johnson ?J130 TLE DM SER># G04110384 ? it?s on Cajun Bay Boat ?

The problem is shifting ? it started getting hard to shift so I changed the cables (throttle & shift) ? then the cold start button would stay stuck and you had to tap on the remote control housing to release. ? So I took it apart (well took the cover off )and lubricated it real good and it was still hard to shift, but the cold start button looked to have been fixed.. It would go in forward pretty good but to go to reverse it would be hard again, but after I played with it I could get it into reverse and back forward it would be hard again, but not as bad as reverse was. I disconnected the cables from the motor and I would try the remote controls and it would go forward and reverse and full throttle easily, ( the cables and remote control seemed to work good) Then I went to the motor and where the shift cable is attached I tried to shift it into gear with my fingers ( with my hand) and it is a little hard to get into gear, but it does go but a little more effort is required.( I did try to rotate the prop while doing this)

The last time I used the motor ( this passed Monday the 16th ) when it went into gear and I started to accelerate I heard a clunk ( like I hit something ) it did it twice and then we went on fishing and never make it again, but it is still hard to shift.

Can you tell me anything about what I just described? Also how big of job is it to go into the lower unit, if you think it is in there. I have two repair manuals?Seloc and the regular factory Johnson Service manual and have looked at the job in there, BUT -- Well I would like to hear what you think and if it possibily be something else.

I want to thank you for your time and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Yours truly

Clint Ourso

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 130 hp johnson shifting problem

That sure isn't an IO, so will move this over to the J/E forum for you.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 130 hp johnson shifting problem

If you are using this mtr in salt water you could either have some frozen linkage on the power head or else the the shift rod seal has swelled up in the lower unit which will require L/U removal to repair. The worst case could be that the lower mtr mounts have swelled up and are causing the shift rod to bind.