blowers/vapors

Before I start my engineI/O in the morning I use the blowers or open the cover to let any fumes out -- do I need to do this during the day if I am drifting and shuting engine and starting or if I am anchored for a period of Time I am new to I/O always had outboards--Thanks

tylerin

Commander
Re: blowers/vapors

Yes. I do. Especially at the gas pumps. Any doubt blow it out

magster65

Commander

Catchy phrase :) <br />It's also recommended you use your blower at slower speeds because the air doesn't circulate as well.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

MassTerran, I just purchased my I/O on July 3rd, and new to them also. I turn my blower on everytime before starting. If I were ever in the position that I thought my battery capacity would be low, I might would raise the large outside cover for a couple of minutes before trying to start without the blower. But, I do not INTEND to get into that position. In fact, when backing the trailer in for launching, My wife is in the boat, I have her raise the seat and the smaller inside cover to the motor, and she runs the blower before starting the engine for the first time. <br /> If I remember correctly the manual states to run the blower before starting every time. I would think after running on the river and stopping for a time period, then restarting, that would be the most dangerous time to try to start without the blower, because fumes could build up after that first running time, and or a potential fuel leak or problem that may develop during that initial run. <br /> With all that said, I would still check your Manuel index for (Blower) and double check. <br /> I wouldn't take the chance without the Blower, all it takes is one K-Boom, and it's too late. <br /><br /> Use the blower, it can't suck that much battery juice and its safer!<br /><br />GodsBeast

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

5 min before starting and anything less that a plaining or crusing speed; Blower on...

Bondo

Staff member

Openning the hatch is Not a bad idea, But, Gas fumes are Heavier than air,+ settle to the bottom of the hull.... That's why the blower hose Should be Very Near the Bottom of the Bilge.....<br />The blower Should be run before Every start....

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

I thank you too Snapperbait, I must have missed the part about blower on below plaining speeds, or ideling. Will heed your warning/advise. I don't know that we've been running it for 5 full minutes either, Thought my manual (I/O on a tripontoon boat said 2 to 3) so I'll be sure to check my Manual again when I get home. If that is the case, we have worked so hard on cutting down on launch times, I'll have to stop before getting to the launch site to turn the blower on. <br /> Bondo, maybe that hatch being open, has already saved our rears, and we didn't know it.<br /><br />GodsBeast

chris in va

Chief Petty Officer

Tylerin, just some information I gleaned earlier. It seems that you DON'T want to run the blower while gassing up, as it could potentially spark the vapors from filling. From what I've read most marina's won't allow anything electrical to be running while fueling.

tylerin

Commander

Well I don't run my blower til after fueling. Don't know where the spark would be coming from.If its the blower than wouldn't that be counterproductive

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

That sounds like a lot of blowing! I have a 16 ft. with 3.0 OMC Cobra, do I need to use the blower that much too? How many folks do you know that blew themselves up by not blowing so much? If it were so dangerous inboards would be outlawed and inboard makers would have more lawsuits on their backs than they could shake a stick at!!!<br /><br />You guys make me nervous!!!

tylerin

Commander

The motor compartment of a boat is a closed system unlike a car where gas can leak to the bottom and vent. They have these blowers for a reason and yes there has been cases of these systems k-booming, but all I need to hear about is one. Better nervous than dead

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Agree with all the above, and a good blower doesn't draw much batt juice, I measured my new Rule at about 2.5-3 amps. If that will make starting iffy replace your batt NOW, better yet put in a dual batt system. I open the engine cover, sniff around, start blower, let run for 4 min, then I sniff the blower exhaust on the side of the boat, then start her up. Can't be too careful with inboards. No substitute for the human nose. Eventually I am going to put in a vapor detector for additional safety though.

Ralph 123

Captain

From "Nautical Know How" Boat safety Certification training (www.boatsafe.com):<br /><br />Boats built after July 31, 1980 which contain power exhaust blowers in gasoline engine compartments must have the following warning sticker near the instrument panel:<br /><br />WARNING<br />GASOLINE VAPORS CAN EXPLODE.<br />BEFORE STARTING ENGINE OPERATE BLOWER<br />FOR 4 MINUTES AND CHECK ENGINE<br />COMPARTMENT FOR GASOLINE VAPORS<br /><br />Fueling<br />Proper fueling procedures are very important in preventing onboard fires. Gasoline vapors are heavier than air and can spread rapidly into enclosed spaces. You should check the bilges and all closed compartments for gasoline vapors. The sniff test is the most effective method for detecting fuel leaks.<br /><br />Fueling Precautions<br /><br />1. Secure boat to the dock.<br />2. Switch off engine(s). <br />3. Extinguish all open flames. <br />4. Do not use electrical switches. <br />5. No smoking. <br />6. Ports, hatches, and doors closed. <br />7. Portable tanks should be refueled ashore. <br />8. Make certain all passengers are ashore. <br />9. Determine quantity of fuel required. <br />10. Hold hose nozzle firmly against fill pipe opening. <br />11. Do not overfill. <br />12. Wipe up all spillage. <br />13. Open ports, hatches, and doors to ventilate. <br />14. Turn blower on for four minutes minimum. <br />15. Do the sniff test. <br />16. Start engines(s). <br />17. Re-board Passengers. <br />18. Untie from dock and cast off.<br /><br />And remember, fundamentally, anything electrical, (esp motors), can and do spark. I can walk across a rug on a dry day and build up enough charge to cause a spark....