Bolt missing under anode - pull lower unit?

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Mercury 1985 90hp I6 #A123909.

I was replacing my anode (fin under the cav plate) and looked up in there to find a screw missing. Looked it up online and it's one of the bolts that holds the lower unit on. It's a fairly common size so that's not a problem.

My question is, if water leaked in there would it have gotten any place it shouldn't have? There is an open cavity just in front of where that bolt is that is vented out to the side of the lower so I'm thinking I'm OK... right? I can just get another bolt, tighten it up and I'm good to go?

Thanks.

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Bolt missing under anode - pull lower unit?

Mercury 1985 90hp I6 #A123909.

I was replacing my anode (fin under the cav plate) and looked up in there to find a screw missing. Looked it up online and it's one of the bolts that holds the lower unit on. It's a fairly common size so that's not a problem.

My question is, if water leaked in there would it have gotten any place it shouldn't have? There is an open cavity just in front of where that bolt is that is vented out to the side of the lower so I'm thinking I'm OK... right? I can just get another bolt, tighten it up and I'm good to go?

Thanks.
Not a problem. You might want to chase the threads with a tap before you put in a new bolt.

hope it helps
John

roncoop75

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bolt missing under anode - pull lower unit?

Not a problem. You might want to chase the threads with a tap before you put in a new bolt.

hope it helps
John

Oh how I love this place. :D

Thank you very much sir, greatly appreciated. :)