4.3L Mercruiser Cylinder Head Cleaning....

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey guys, I am at the point where I have to tear the top end of the engine down...again. Don S. this is the perfect example of "why is there never enough time to do it right the first time..." :)

Regardless, I don't mind doing this as I have come to the realization that I will not be sea ready this season....

So I need to pull the heads and inspect/clean them. I have read that the push rods need to be removed before taking the head off as to not bend them, and to make sure that all bolts are removed.

I have the manual and will be following it, but is there any advise that the manual does not list for doing this. And, has anyone done this, are the heads impossible to clean...they're expensive to replace and I am hoping to be able to clear them out. any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

zbnutcase

Commander
Re: 4.3L Mercruiser Cylinder Head Cleaning....

What is the issue??????

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

And you're pulling the heads why? What do you mean by head cleaning? What part of Mass?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

You really don't need to "clean" the heads. You could have deposits on the valves causing them not to close right. But whats the reason for the job?

My only real advice would be to make sure you tag the rockers and pushrods as they come off and mark them so they go back in the exact same location.

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry about that....I am specifically talking about the water pass through areas of the head. When I originally had the intake manifold off the starboard side front passage was noticeably clogged, I though i freed everything but it's almost impossible to really tell.

This is all arising from an overheating problem....in previous posts I have talked about it (sorry for assuming everyone would know hahahah)....has a new t-stat, circ pump, belts, gaskets, risers, impeller, waterflow to the "t-stat housing is great.....water coming off the intake manifold into the t-stat housing is not enough volume, I'm thinking the water passage in the head is still clogged

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Take a pressure washer to it. The heads are only like 3-4" thick.

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

think I can do that wtihout...

A) Removing the intake manifold (instead shoot thru the t-stat housing opening)
B) having so much pressure that it blows out the gaskets everywhere

I'm liking this idea though

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

You shouldn't blow any gaskets at all. Don't know about not removing the intake. Take the thermostat housing off and try it. When I worked on cars, I would come across plugged water passages mainly just at the intake to head gasket area. Wasn't very thick, just scraped it out. I'm guessing that after the intake R&R the first time, it's still getting hot now?

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes it's still getting hot...I will admit the first time I cleaned it I had no idea what I was doing and was probably too cautious!

So you think that high pressure water will free up the passages?

yes it stills gets hot.....well..starboard side runs at perfect temp, port side bank runs way too hot (and yes I am aware one side will always run hotter then the other)....but we are talking 40 degree temperature difference...

what do you think?

JustJason

Vice Admiral

Have you pulled the risers yet and inspected the transfer ports and the water exhaust ports?

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, risers are new and exhaust manifolds have good water flow....it's definitely and obstruction somewhere in the engine/heads....everything else in cooling system is basically new, belts, gaskets, t-stat, impeller, some hoses...also cleared hosse that feed the exhaust manifolds

Todd157k

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When you pull it apart, and putting it back together, make sure the gasket holes line up and clear all passages. I've been handed gaskets before that we wrong year, wrong model, different bla bla bla... and missing cut-outs or having extra ones in it. Then there's square port, "D" port, and oval port heads... bla bla bla. Bottom line, I've had the wrong gaskets handed to me many-a-times.

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

right...when I put the intake back on they were the correct gaskets, all holes that were supposed to be there, were...

and in thinking about it the only way to power wash the channels is with the intake on, otherwise the top of the engine is open and water will get in it, that would be bad :)

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

right...when I put the intake back on they were the correct gaskets, all holes that were supposed to be there, were...

and in thinking about it the only way to power wash the channels is with the intake on, otherwise the top of the engine is open and water will get in it, that would be bad :)

Not devestating. Just have to change the oil after you're done washing.

6meter

Chief Petty Officer

Just thinking here, are you running fresh or salt water. Open cooling system I presume?

BAproject

Petty Officer 1st Class

open cooling system in salt water