76 75hp stinger

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am the proud but worried owner of a 1976 75 hp Johnson Stinger.About a month ago i was running it in the tank,something I do to all my motors on a regular basis.
It was running nicely at a fast idle when it stopped suddenly and violently.Close examination revealed the block to be cracked so presumably it has tossed a rod cap and the con rod has done it's ugly work.My question is ,does anyone know where a block and case can be aquired without having to take out a second mortgage or should I just toss the whole thing and replace it.Any input would be appreciated.
Geoff69

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 76 75hp stinger

No simple answer to your question.....
If it were a customers motor I would tell them to look for a new one. Not worth the money to go through all that trouble.
If this thing has sentimental value then start looking. Dont expect to get your money back out of it though..

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

very common problem, if carbs are not kept clean. each carb is for one cylinder, failed carb, means, no fuel or oil to that cylinder.

also running with no load, above 1500 rpms, can cause one to explode.

geoffwga1

Petty Officer 1st Class

very common problem, if carbs are not kept clean. each carb is for one cylinder, failed carb, means, no fuel or oil to that cylinder.

also running with no load, above 1500 rpms, can cause one to explode.

That makes sense,in fact last year when we were out one day we lost power and motored home slow speed and when I checked around I found #3 spitting back through the carb,opened up the reed box and found a screw wedged under the reed that some dipstick had left in there.Found several other doubtful things too so I think the guy I bought it from had been tinkering without really knowing what he was doing.Guess I'll just save it for spares and look around for some thing else.Thanks
Geoff69.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If it's the bright orange Stinger model, I think it might be worth salvaging. They are starting to have a little bit of collector value. I don't think you can plan your retirement around it, but they were kinda the "cool" motor of the day and some folks are seeking them out now to match up with small performance boats of the 1970s. I wouldn't spend a fortune on it, but I wouldn't scrap it out, either. If you luck into another 70 or 75hp powerhead from that era you could have a good motor on your hands....