anyone had any experience with the crate outdrives

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class
offered by iboats and their corporate cohorts?

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander
Re: anyone had any experience with the crate outdrives

I've heard lots of good stuff about SEI.

http://www.sterndrive.cc/outdrives.htm

Post in the I/O section, you'll get some feedback. A couple of Starcrafters here have gone with them too. Nice price, brand new, works good.

Upper or lower Alpha 1, $600 each. Fits pre-alpha also. I thinks Iboats sells them, too.

elkhunter338

Master Chief Petty Officer

I went with a sei 106 last spring. So far so good. 100+ hours on it no trouble. I hated the noise at first to break in the gears, but the whine went almost completely away after 40 hrs and a 1st 10hr oil change per sei. I just presure tested the outdrive at 9 psi, held for 2 days plus until I let the pressure out. I have a 140hp I/O.
Service and shipping was fast. I could just not go with a rebuild unit for the price sei was offering. I figure for that price I could replace every 10 yrs or so and be ok $160 per year of use.

barato

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for info gents! yeah, at those prices, it makes much sense to "just do it" before i haul boat south, esp if i do rebuild my motor too....all-new drivetrain is great peace o mind where there's nobody to rescue yo butt.

Gnarly

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put an SEI upper and lower on my 22 foot islander last spring with new hydraulic cylinders and lines , Works great and I couldnt be happier with it after 70 or so hours in the salt this summer.

here's my thread on them http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=370963