Shift cable

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so I am doing a bellows job alone. I have almost all of it together. The manual states the shift cable can be done with out pulling the bell housing. So I figured I would install it next to last. Anyone ever had success with installing these alpha one gen one cables?
If so how did you do it?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Shift cable

I would put the new cable in the bellhousing and the shift cable bellows on the cable. Then put the shift cable through the tranom shield, attach the shift cable bellows to the transom shield. Next, push the bellhousing in place and install the ujoint bellows to the transom shield.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Then I will have to pull the u Joint bellows back off again. I just hope the Quicksliver sealant does not cause damage to the rubber.
Oh and I may have found a cheap way to install the exhaust bellows. I will post it if it works.

fraannk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't think Don S. means you should pull off the ujoint bellows if you already have it installed. He just was telling you the easiest way to do it when you are doing it all together.

When I did my exhaust bellows I didn't use any special tools. I just left the hinge pins out and pushed the bell housing in to compress the bellows and worked it on that way.

You can do the shift cable without pulling the bell housing back off.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So perhaps pulling the cable sheathing out of the boat, tightening the nut to the housing, then sliding it back into the boat and fishing it to the correct location? Then put the pins back in place. Cause I cannot seem to start it at the nut while it is in the boat, through the transom plate, fished to the right side.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't think Don S. means you should pull off the ujoint bellows if you already have it installed. He just was telling you the easiest way to do it when you are doing it all together.

When I did my exhaust bellows I didn't use any special tools. I just left the hinge pins out and pushed the bell housing in to compress the bellows and worked it on that way.

You can do the shift cable without pulling the bell housing back off.

Actually the exhaust won't pop in place. I have 2 long bolts with washers on the end of them. this may allow me to catch the bellows and pull them up on the section where they go to.

fraannk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The easiest way to do the exhaust bellows is to use an exhaust tube. That is what I have used the last two times and it is EASY!

In order to start the nut on the shift cable the cable has to be able to spin as you tighten the nut.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

In order to start the nut on the shift cable the cable has to be able to spin as you tighten the nut.

That is absolutely true.

You also say you are doing this alone. If there is any way possible for you to find someone to hold the end of the cable inside the boat and turn it with you - at least to keep it from binding - it will be MUCH easier as well. Heck - they don't even have to be mechanically inclined. Just be able to know which way to turn the cable. ;)

zbnutcase

Commander

I would put the new cable in the bellhousing and the shift cable bellows on the cable. Then put the shift cable through the tranom shield, attach the shift cable bellows to the transom shield. Next, push the bellhousing in place and install the ujoint bellows to the transom shield.

That's the way I do it too

TooBizzy

Cadet

The easiest way to do the exhaust bellows is to use an exhaust tube. That is what I have used the last two times and it is EASY!

Can you elaborate on using an "Exhaust Tube" to install the bellows. I replaced the driveshaft boot and exhaust boot on an older 888 drive. I can tell ya I had a biotch of a time doing the install. You never know, might have to do it again sometime....

fraannk

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The exhaust tube replaces the bellows. Do a search and you will find people for and against them. I am "for" because I bought one for 30 bucks and installed it with the outdrive in the trailer position in 5 minutes.

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is what I did, I removed the pins and pulled the housing back somewhat and blocked it in place with wood. Of course the cable sheathing was removed from the boat. I installed the sheathing on the Housing and snaked the cable back into the boat. Of course I was up and down to be sure it went where it needed to go. So that is done.
The exhaust bellows puled on with the make shift tool I made and now s tightened. All left is to install the sterndrive, Thanks for the help.:)

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok so the bellows was fully on for the exhaust. I tightened the clamp and then put it back together, raised the unit and they popped back off. So now I have a installed drive and a disconnected exhaust bellows.:mad:

TiredoleBoy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Got one on order. If it works out, I will be happy as heck. Had the boat for 5 years now and used it maybe 10 times max. Seems I am always repairing the damn thing. First time out this year water leaked into oil. So maybe I can get it out at least once this season.